2016 Driver School Schedule & Application Forms
The Competition Driving School is for individuals wishing to compete in "Wheel to Wheel" competition events sanctioned by WHRRI, the SCCA, and other sanctioning organizations accepting the WHRRI driving school permits. Waterford Hills does host Open Track Days, "OTDs", for individuals wishing to develop their high speed driving skills utilizing vehicles not equipped with the required safety equipment for wheel to wheel competition. OTDs do not permit "Wheel to Wheel" racing. Please check the WHRRI website for more information on OTDs.
Classroom will be Saturday, April 9th, 9:00am until 5:00pm, at the Main Club House on the grounds of the OCSC.
On track instruction will take place Saturday, April 23rd, and Sunday, April 24th, from 8:00am until 8:00pm both days.
In order to participate in the WHRRI Competition Driving School the following requirements need to be met
- Student requirements
- Age — The participating student must be 18 years or older at the time of the on-track session. A waiver may be pursued through the WHRRI Board of Directors for students 16 and 17 years of age at the time of the on-track Session. The waiver must be approved by the Board of Directors before the on-track sessions.
- Medical — The participating student must provide a completed medical examination form prior to the on-track session. The form is available through the SCCA website. The physical exam must be completed within 3 months preceding the on-track event.
- Safety Gear — All drivers are required to present personal safety gear, suit, shoes, gloves, and helmet, as required by the SCCA General Competition Rules "GCR" including a neck restraint device, for inspection to participate in all on-track events.
- Vehicle requirements
- Vehicle/Crew Preparation — Student must provide the vehicle to be used for the duration of the school. Preparation and maintenance of the vehicle is the responsibility of the student. Crew support at the time of the event is highly recommended and encouraged. The school will be held rain or shine and it is highly recommended rain tires are available for use during the school.
- Vehicle Safety Equipment — All cars must meet all safety requirements as defined by the SCCA General Competition Rules for the particular type of car being used and will be inspected. Car numbers are required and must meet specifications as defined in the GCR. Rules relating to performance characteristics will not be scrutinized.
- Mufflers — All vehicles must have a muffler installed in the exhaust system. All vehicles must meet noise restrictions as described in WHRRI supplemental regulations.
- Novice Permits/Membership requirements
- Novice Permit — In order to receive a Novice Permit (required for participation in sanctioned race events) upon successful completion of the school, membership in WHRRI or SCCA is required. The WHRRI driving school does not require membership with either WHRRI or SCCA for participation, but NO novice permits will be provided at the end of the school if membership was not completed prior to the start of the school. Novice permits can be applied for at a later date. Additional costs may be incurred.
- WHRRI — Membership in Oakland County Sportsman Club, "OCSC", is required for membership in WHRRI. Details of WHRRI membership can be found on the WHRRI website. A WHRRI novice permit is presented to the student upon successful completion of the school. The cost of the WHRRI permit is included in the school registration fee.
- SCCA — If applying for an SCCA Novice permit, membership in SCCA is required. Details of SCCA membership can be found on the SCCA website. An SCCA novice permit is presented to the student upon successful completion of the school. An additional cost is required for the SCCA Novice permit.
- Both — A student may apply for a novice permit from both SCCA and WHRRI if desired. Membership requirements for both clubs are required. The additional SCCA novice permit fee is required.
- First Time Student
- WHRRI Members: $395.00
- SCCA Members: $520.00 (includes SCCA Novice permit)
- Non Members: $460.00 (No Permit provided upon completion of school)
- Returning students — Students that have participated in the WHRRI school or held a
competition license within past 5 years qualify for a returning student discount
- WHRRI Members: $295.00
- SCCA Members: $420.00 (includes SCCA Novice permit)
- Non Members: $360.00 (No Permit provided upon completion of school)
- Late fee — If application is received after 4/9/2016, please add additional $60.00 to appropriate fee as listed above.
- First Time Student