Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Runoffs reports from WHRRI racers

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

Runoffs reports from WHRRI racers

Postby 924RACR » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 am

Maybe we collect some thoughts etc from the WHRRI racers at the Runoffs here - there were a lot of us!!

First up, major props to Andrew Abbott for his best ever drive/Runoffs finish! Spun and shunted into second-to-last in Turn 1 lap 1, put on an epic drive to recover to 4th on the last lap, charging hard for a podium spot! Really impressive! Brandon also had a solid run, bringing it home in 11th.

Ryan Kristoff in GTL had what had to be among the biggest heartbreak, experiencing some sort of mild yet impressive engine failure immediately as the green flag dropped, putting out a massive smokescreen yet completing the first lap on pace until dropping into the pit lane at the end of the lap. Oh, did I mention this was from the outside pole/front row??? This, after the crew not once but twice reconstructing the front end after substantial hits during practice and qualifying - once into a dead-stopped car, and once into the wall! Huge effort, and woulda been a contender for sure.

F5 already covered - Sven, Steve, Tom and Brian stomping WHRRI all over the front half of the F5 field!

Jon Yanca also with an excellent result, P5 in T4... Garrett Dunn podium with 3rd in STL... Rob Huffmaster with a heartbreak from the lead in STU, dropping out with I hear a blown clutch... but Ray picking up the torch and finishing 2nd in STU!

We had an OK race, memorable if not eye-catching... started way in back thanks to no times in 2 of 4 quali sessions, very little time to learn the track... sun was a challenge for a couple of corners, with early-morning sessions... car wasn't quite handling well enough to do better, but managed to pass 4 cars on the lead lap, attrition through the race, and one last-lap/last-corner pass to move up to 13th for the checker. Would've liked to crack the top ten, but didn't have the car set up well enough to make that possible... next time...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Re: Runoffs reports from WHRRI racers

Postby surratta » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 am

I got excited just watching the SM last chance to qualify race... kinda wish they'd do that for more classes/smaller fields. legit talent racing for 72nd on the grid!

I didn't see all the races I wanted to, most notably STL. looking forward to them posting.

congrats to all y'all and all y'all's crews... definitely a good showing this year...
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby fastbackss » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm

It was a spectacle. Fantastic place to soak in the history, and what an event. I feel like I am spoiled going to my first Runoffs and having it be at Indy.

But racing wise, it was a lllllllong week. We were averaging 5 hours of sleep (and not because we were out carousing). Got there for a practice session on Saturday - roll car out of trailer - clutch wouldn’t disengage. Had to tear it apart and get a new pressure plate. Missed first practice. 2nd practice got 1 lap because session was black flagged due to an accident (BFA was a theme for the week - I thought I saw over 80% of the groups on Monday's 1Q had a BFA). Finally got a few laps in the afternoon session.

First 2 days of qualifying too much traffic to do anything (67 cars is a lot of open wheel cars, even when spread over 2.592miles). 3rd day we got our turn to go into tech and found out neither of us drained the fuel tank well enough. Once we addressed further my car wouldn’t run. We changed plugs/fuel filter/disconnected wires – about the only thing we didn’t do was the battery, which in retrospect might have been an issue. We tried "testing it" on the dyno and on a stretch in the paddock. Thought we had it, but I ended up pulling in after 12 laps because it was running worse and worse.

As for Cade, his floor pan came unbonded...and his clutch gave up the ghost too. We decided to just fully swap engines on his, which worked good for about 18.5 of the 19 laps until he aerated his block.

We were happy that 4 of our 14 cars came with our engine configuration, which was seemingly a hindrance but I won't go into here, but we didn't finish last and had fun doing it and saying we participated in the largest Runoffs (likely ever).

We did get karting and to the museum. Would have liked more goofing off time, but what fun would that have been!
-Mike (FC 41)
fastbackss

Postby Camaro67racer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:32 pm

image.jpg

Here is my recap that I posted on Facebook, edited a little after I watched a few laps of video and refreshed my memory...

Wow, what a week and what a race yesterday at the 2017 SCCA Runoffs! Still in a bit of a fog as we didn't get home until after 1:30am this (Monday) morning, but that was because the car didn't get released from the Indy impound until about 7:30pm last evening. That's a good thing.
Started the race in 11th and knew I had an uphill battle. Our MX-5s didn't have the top end speed to be in front of the Mazda RX-8 or even come close to the Scion/Toyota/Subaru triplets. I also had four cars gridded right behind me that all had big motor (RX-8, '15 Mazda 3, Acura RSX, and Scion FRS). The Indy straight is loooong.
Green flag dropped and the fury began. I'm not even sure what happened in Turn one, but I stayed to the inside and there was contact in front of me and cars going off track, I managed to get through untouched. Ironically, the opposite of how my starts have been this year (Looking at you STL Honda CRXs! 8) ).
We started Turn three, 2-3 cars wide, but made it through. On the exit of Turn 6b, Don Knowles in an RX-8 hooked the curb and spun onto the back stright. I managed to avoid that.
Continuing to race lap 1 (!), we entered 10 and another front runner went around. On the exit of Turn 12, and RX-8 got sandwiched right in front of me and another car spun. I was right in the kill-zone there, but I squeaked through and entered the straight in 3rd. But I checked my mirror and saw an FRS there, followed by an RX-8. I knew 3rd was only going to last a few seconds on the straight as I watched them motor right past me as if I was hypermiling a Prius.
I ran in 4th the next lap, but the faster RX-8 got me on the straight. I tucked in the draft and from there I had an amazing race with Ray Blethen in an RX-8. I spent the next 17 laps glued to his bumper as best I could. He'd pull me on the straights, but the draft helped keep me in the hunt. I could brake later for one and make up the gap. I could exit 6b onto the back straight better, but he could motor away. He drove his front left tire to the cords. I challenged once though the 7,8,9 complex but couldn't make it stick. It was a great clean race. I had a ball.
I finished 5th of 40 cars and even after the tech shed and protests (1st place was later moved to 4th), 5th is my official finish. The highest placed MX-5. I couldn't be happier. (Well, OK, I'm a racer so I could if I was further up the field, but it was the best the car was going to manage.)
Especially after last year at Mid-Ohio Runoffs, where I was disappointed in how I raced, I'm really pleased with how this Runoffs turned out. I had a battle the entire race with Blethen and that's tough to do in a car that was an underdog at this track. I think I only put a wheel wrong once or twice and I really only have about one thing I'd do different from that race.
As much as I try, you can't do this alone. It takes a team of people. Whether it's someone to help you wrench on the car or just bounce ideas off of, you need those people. Thanks to all of you have have grabbed a wrench or lent an ear.
So many thanks to my absolutely amazing wife Emily for all her love and support this year and every day we take on together. She is THE best!
Many thanks to Steve Steeb for all the help with the car and Steve Steeb Service, Inc. for the support. Also, thanks to Tim and Jason for their help in the last minute push before Runoffs.
So many more of you that had a hand in it all, thank you!
The Hoosier Racing Tires were great all race. The G-LOC Brakes provided amazing stopping power all race long.
Thanks to Mazda Motorsports for supporting us amateur racers.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
Jon Yanca

T4 MX-5
Spec Miata
Camaro67racer