Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

How to Get Started at WHRR

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

How to Get Started at WHRR

Postby 911Carrera » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:24 pm

I got myself and some buddies that want to try and participate this coming year (2013) and I want to make sure I got the process down. I have been looking through the forms, but can someone please confirm the following:

PARTICIPANT WITH CURRENT SCCA COMPETITION LICENSE
Apply for Oakland County Sports Club Membership? $230. Is this needed
Apply for competition licence - @$25. If Pay lifetime, does this cover the OCSC membership?
Is there a way as participant has current SCCA license, to just pay a higher fee and come?

PARTICIPANTS WITH NO CURRENT COMPETITION LICENSE
Apply for Oakland County Sports Club Membership? $230. Is this needed
Apply for competition licences - @$25. If Pay lifetime, does this cover the OCSC membership?
Can 1 car be used for 2 different people

Lastly, how do you reserve a paddock spot?

Thank you in advance.
911Carrera

Re: How to Get Started at WHRR

Postby James Burks » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm pretty sure you do have to obtain a OCSC membership to race on the track (besides for OTD I think). The rest of the stuff though I don't know.
James Burks

Postby Joel Hershoren » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi 911,
A , WECLOME.
B. Thanks for asking. You have pointed out something still being worked on, a FAQ for getting started and ready for Drivers School.

To race at Waterford, you do not have to be a member of Waterford or OCSC, but it does require you to be a member of SCCA, and hold a SCCA license.
Yes, you pay a higher entry fee, and you are able to win trophys ( if we get a new trophy chair ) but you are not able to win any Waterford Championship.

Waterford Memebership does require OSCS membership, and gets you access to the lower entry fee on race weekends, lower fees for open track days, and the abilty to run for a class championship.
There are other benefits, but that is the quick summary.

Lifetime Membership at Waterford still requires you to mantain an OCSC membership, it is not included. They aer the Main club, we are a sub-club.

The School is SCCA endorsed, and this year it is THE school for Great Lakes Division. You can go thru on the SCCA program or The Waterford Program.
There is no wrong choice, it is what appeals to you the best overall.

It is not advised to share a car at drivers school. It's a lot of track time, and can be hard on a car. One car fails with two drivers, and most likley both drivers do not pass.

There are no stupid questions, so feel free to ask away.
John Blanchard is listed on the contact page, feel free to ask him about drivers school questions.

Cheers,
Joel
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Postby Joel Hershoren » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm

btw,, it is not clear in the above post.
If you join OCSC an Waterford, you do not have to join SCCA.

NOW,, if you want to race at other events, like a SCCA regional, You can race with a FULL Waterford license, but you then also need to join SCCA.
I just used to maintain year to year on SCCA.
It's been a while for me, but if i recall, they used to sell "weekend memberships" for those who wish to be a member event to event.
Joel Hershoren

Postby 2BWise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 am

NOW,, if you want to race at other events, like a SCCA regional, You can race with a FULL Waterford license, but you then also need to join SCCA.
I just used to maintain year to year on SCCA.

Don't want to muddy the waters on this too far, but does it still take all season before a novice WHRRI license is upgraded to a full license? I know that within the SCCA once you complete your 2 Regionals (after driver's school) the license is upgraded from novice to full. But, with WHRRI there is (or was, not sure if this has changed in the last 2 years) no way to upgrade until the season is over. So, for a novice WHRRI driver you can't go anywhere else to race during the season as SCCA will only allow a FULL WHRRI license. This nearly bit me in the ass in 2009, but the chief steward for OVR (Mid Oh) was generous and let me race.
2BWise

Postby surratta » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:50 pm

in case anyone is reading this and hasn't seen this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1747
... it's worth reading.

it's long, and probably not as nicely digested as it should (and one day will!) be, but it does have a lot of pertinent information.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby Joel Hershoren » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Bill,
It does not muddy the water, so no worries.
One can upgrade DURING a Waterford season from Novice to Full.
It requires special attention.
1. A Waterford Novice must complete the workbee hours mandate before getting the full license.
2. The students instructor and the ( or a ) Director of Drivers School both have to approve the upgrade.
The Chief Steward is normally consulted at this point.
3. Proper paperwork needs to be submitted to License Director.

It does happen, but it's not all too common.
Towards the end of the season, if a Novice wishes to compete elsewhere,( say a Mid-O season ender ) and has met requirements to satisfaction, the process is completed before the next season.
Waterford looks at a basic guideline of:
1. Number of Starts.
2. Laps completed without incident. ( and BTW,, causing a yellow flag can be viewed as an incident )
3. Consitant improvement.
4. Of course, a good attitude.

We worry less about how others do it. It's not one way or the other is better or worse.
A Full Waterford license should mean something. I don't think it's any easier or harder to get, just different.

BTW, some folks penalize themselves by being too much in a hurry to get the full license.
As a novice, one gets to compete in the co-driver race at no-charge.

Plus many students, in the duress of a first season, forget about the workbee hours obligation to their club.
No worries, there are plenty of workbees, Fish Frys, and Open Track Days to fill the blanks.

Cheers,
Joel
Joel Hershoren

Postby karnold » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Had to get my 2 cents in for work bee hours.....

In addition to the other great opportunities to get work bee hours, the vintage weekend can also be an exciting and enjoyable way to get work bee hours.

Can't miss out on seeing the grounds full and active with racers and spectators, all while enjoying the wonderful sights and sounds of the vintage cars on track.

We have some members that get their season's worth of work bee hours just by volunteering the full vintage weekend and they have a great time too. In addition to getting the full license, work bee hours pays off in reduced OCSC dues the following year.

But, be warned......you may have to fight Andrew off to drive the shuttle van........
Kathy Arnold
karnold

Postby surratta » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:46 pm

the vans are the easiest workbee hours anyone ever "earned", that's for sure. but I think I wanna work a corner next year...
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby stevesteeb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm

As for the SCCA - WHRRI license debate...

I have held a WHRRI License off and on for over 30 years. When I wanted to race SCCA Nationals I petitioned the SCCA License Chairperson and sent in a racing resume' and was issued an SCCA National License (actually had a PRO License for a year or two...). I have competed at the SCCA Run-Offs and run a few SCCA Pro Races for S2000. All from a WHRRI School and License. I currently hold a WHRRI Full License but no SCCA License. I can race with a discount at Waterford Hills and my WHRRI License allows me to race Vintage events pretty much anywhere and SCCA Regionals all over the Great Lakes Division. Works just fine for me in my current position.

My son, on the other hand, has an SCCA Regional License. He races a Formula First and they have an AWESOME Championship Series that mostly races at SCCA Regionals. He first raced one of my cars at WHRRI and got a WHRRI License. When he started racing on his own with his own program he chose to concentrate on SCCA events and was issued an SCCA Regional License (he has his own reasons to not to continue his OCSC membership - so WHRRI membership was not really an option). He pays Guest Entry at Waterford Hills but doesn't have to join the OCSC or perform Work-bee hours. There is no class championship for his class (although three F/Firsts are within 20 miles of the track!) so that is irrelevant.

You need to look at what you want and your friends want to do during the season and decide. Not really a WRONG choice - just different... Oh, and you DEFINITELY do not want to try and do a school with two students in one car. Please rent a second car for the School for one of you, compare notes, have fun and save a BUNCH of stress and wear and tear on the car.

steve
stevesteeb

Next

Return to General Discussion