Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Autorama Show Report

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

Autorama Show Report

Postby jdopirak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 pm

First a few Thank Yous.

Thanks to the car owners who volunteered their cars and time to bring their cars down mid-day Wednesday for set up and take them home Sunday night after the show closed.

Thanks to all the volunteers who staffed the display all week end. Hopefully they had some time to view the rest of the show.

Thanks to our WoW ladies who signed posters, answered questions and added class to our display.

Thanks to JB for all the posters to give out. The posters definitely added to the popularity of our display.

The WHRRI display was the busiest I have seen it in the 6 years I have worked it. I was down early on Friday (before the show opened) for the student hours. A large number of students stopped by to view our display and asked many question. A few ladies where amazed that we have women racing there and asked questions on how to get started racing.

Once the show opened I talked to several individuals who had just got out of a different from of racing and looking to try something new. I gave out 3 Drivers School packets and 6 OTD registration forms. I heard similar comments from several others who staffed the display.

On top of all that out of 6 cars entered 5 took home trophies. They are:

Chris Marsh, DSR, First Place Formula Race Car. As I helped Chris push his car to our display I could not believe the number of participates who stopped working on their displays to get a better look.

Alan Rhodes, OTD competitor, 2005 Lotus Elise with a three page list of modifications. 1st place Production Race Car. Arguably the most popular car in our display. The car looked really great next to our OTD poster. Hope the spectators did not get too much drool on the car.

Garrett Van Camp 1954 Davis Special (think Allard J2), second place Vintage Race Car. If this is a second place car I just have to see the first place one! Definitely a favorite among the more mature spectators. Garrett is a WHRRI Life Member, race FV back in the day and raced the Davis Special and a FV at last year’s Vintage race. Garrett is planning on getting more active in the club this season.

Shant Saroukhanian, 1970 Datsun B-510. Third place Vintage Race Car. Another attention getter. Very clean car. It seams that everyone either had one or knew someone who had one of these. The car also received a lot of attention when Shant drove it to the WHRRI display.

Seth Rowley, SM, Third Place Production Race Car, Nice new paint job. For a car that participates in the SM battles each weekend it looks outstanding. A favorite with the younger crowd. Everyone I talked to either had one or knew someone that did. A lot of interest in the SM class.

And Thanks to those behind the scenes that made this happen.

Dorothy for getting the trifolds, flyers, posters $5 off coupons done in time and taking the pictures for the WoW poster.

Rich for pulling the WoW promotion together.

Joel for help rounding the cars up.

JB, Joel and Jerry for having the drivers school information available

Joel, Clutch and JB for having the OTD information available.

And Vern. Without Vern’s connections we would not have been in the Autorama for the last several years. Since we promote the club with handouts ect. they wanted to charge us vendor rates which we cannot afford to pay. Vern got us in at show car entry rate.

Jim D.
jdopirak

WHRRI Member Number: 1476

Re: Autorama Show Report

Postby EBSNASCAR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Bravo....the Waterford Hills group I know and love.
Tom
Owner/Driver of TF American Racing ITB/STU #00 Mustang (in repair mode)

http://tfamericanracing.blogspot.com/
EBSNASCAR

WHRRI Member Number: 2659

Postby jdopirak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:27 am

I knew I would miss someone. Jim Lamb, who stored most of our dispaly at his house, pick up what was remaining in OCSC storage, took it all down to Cobo and set it up, then took all down Sunday night after the show closed. Thanks Jim!
jdopirak

WHRRI Member Number: 1476

Postby Chris Marsh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks, everyone!
Chris Marsh

Postby Bruce Race » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Was very busy Sunday early, the "W.O.W." definitely a hit!!!!! I saw many young girls/women asking questions!!!!!! Had fun talking up the club, bench racing.....you know...the "usual"......Thanks to all..........Bruce
Bruce Race

Postby Joel Hershoren » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm

The big thanks should really go to Jim Dopirak.

With Vern's passing, Jim took the ball and ran with it. Without Jim, there would have not been a display.
Jim ,it is we ,who should thank you.
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Postby Bruce Race » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Here - Here!!!!!
Bruce Race

Postby surratta » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 am

amen
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby greendot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:36 pm

dittos
Dr. Sheldon Cooper "The best # is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime #. Its mirror (37) is the 12th and its mirror (21) is 7 times 3
In binary, 73 it's a palindrome, 1001001 backwards is 1001001." like racecar
From the 73rd episode of Big Bang Theory
greendot

WHRRI Member Number: 1444

Return to General Discussion