Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

WHOOPS

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

WHOOPS

Postby Rich Johnson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Mike Novak just shared the down side of his wife Kristen's first win at Waterford Hills. While Kristen throughly enjoyed the enthusiastic celebration of water...her car...not so much. Apparently with the amount of electronics in our newer racecars water can have expensive consequences. Mike had to replace the $180 in-car radio due to water damage. Luckily the other electronics was spared.
The take away message is...Soak the Driver and spare the electronics.
Rich Johnson

WHRRI Member Number: 1981

Re: WHOOPS

Postby MJNOVA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:52 pm

There was a happy ending to the happy start.--The 2way did come back on a couple days later and doesnt seem worse for the wear.. I love the tradition and so does Kristen... I think when I do it in the fture to someone I will wok to make sure I soak them in the suit...

Mike Novak.
MJNOVA

Postby stevesteeb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

You know... I wondered about this when I returned from my last Sabbatical. Upon my first win in my Lola (mid 90's) it was a cup full of water at each turn station. Not too bad, I rather enjoyed it! :-) And if you didn't STOP it mostly got on the outside of the car (or on the driver if the AIM was good enough!)but the inside of the car (where radios, cameras, data acq. systems and automotive computers live) stayed fairly dry. I was shocked to see that it has now escalated to BUCKETS-FULL of water and stopping the car at flag stations (and in the Pit Lane and Tech.). I've been waiting for an ECM to get fried and Emergency to have to tow the car in from the celebratory CFL and throw off the schedule... I hope the Club will take away from this that it is time to return some sanity to this celebration!

Thanks for the HEADS-UP, Mike and Rich.
stevesteeb

Postby surratta » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 pm

SHE KNEW THE RISKS!!!
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby surratta » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:16 pm

surratta wrote:SHE KNEW THE RISKS!!!

(said the guy with no electronics in his car.)
surratta

Postby MJNOVA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:06 pm

She would have been ok letting the car burn down for the first win, as I would have too. It is one of the things that make waterford great. That many people saying great job------- it doesn't get any better!
MJNOVA

Postby Lynn Bertin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:41 am

OK then.....
Stopping the car at each turn station, however briefly, will now be a good thing. Future winners take note, we'll be stopping you !!

Since we'll be going back to the approximate "cupfull" in the future we'll need to place our shots more directly on the driver and try to spare the car's precious and expensive bits while we preserve the tradition. :P

I've also been known to have some sway with our Starters and you can expect more tame celebrations from them as well. 8)

GRID ..... That leaves the bucket in your court......
Lynn Bertin
F&C
Lynn Bertin

WHRRI Member Number: 2042

Postby surratta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 am

Lynn Bertin wrote:... place our shots more directly on the driver and try to spare the car's precious and expensive bits...

targeted shots make sense. but I wouldn't let passengers off the hook entirely...
surratta

Return to General Discussion