Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

ABS IceMode 350Z

Photos, videos, any other multimedia stuffs

ABS IceMode 350Z

Postby thekinn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks again to everyone at WHRRI. I'm the unfortunate one to join the exclusive 'over the berm' club.. ABS IceMode is essentially a 'feature' in ABS that disables most of your braking to allow you to steer on ice. I don't think I want to get all into that discussion but noteworthy here.

The video.. well. if you don't like to see accidents, don't watch it. Don't know if I need to say much about it, I tried to stop it as best I could. Hoped for the gravel to stop me, then ..

Corner workers, volunteers, tow, EMS, Averill (where I bought the HANS), Clutch.. man you went above and beyond. I can't thank you enough. Thankfully I am feeling Ok. A little sore and taking it easy, but the safety equipment did the job it seems (Thanks again Ralph).

If anyone has pictures, video of the end result, please private message me here. I'd like to have them.

http://youtu.be/rl0TIi1inBE

Who knows, maybe an aftermarket ABS company would like to sponsor this video ..??? Bosch?? :)
thekinn

Re: ABS IceMode 350Z

Postby surratta » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:13 pm

wow, impressive. I've never seen anyone go *over* the berm.

glad you were in a well prepped car.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby 38Bfast » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:22 pm

I am elated you put safety high on your priority list. We do this stuff for fun and getting hurt is not fun. Great to see you in great shape afterwards.

I would like to work with you on a solution that completely eliminates this problem from ever happening again. I am confident that we can come up with a fail safe solution.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby Randy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Holy $#@>!!

Glad to hear that you are okay.
Randy Shaw
#4, SM, STL & ITS
Randy

WHRRI Member Number: 2564

Postby 924RACR » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 am

Just to set the record straight... there is no such thing as "ice mode."

Sorry 'bout your car, glad you are OK... talk to Ralph, he's got some experience with this in the 350Z (just ask Jeff!) ;) ...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Postby TealTuna » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 am

Oh wow I didn't know any details of what had happened last session - that's quite the excursion. Also glad you're okay... I don't think the video does the impact justice that must have been a hell of a hit. Better the berm there than a wall I say :-)

Also awesome job on the response time (as noted in the trophy ceremony by Joel) from the safety crew.... Despite the tight quarters I still feel safe racing here over other larger venues
#46 F-Prod Triumph Spitfire
Acura Integra Trackwhore
10' Mazdaspeed3 Daily Fun
TealTuna

Postby Joel Hershoren » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 am

Wow.

I was in turn 6, as were many folks.
Heard the noise, and was alarmed to start, as many who had a better view than i started to run towards the access gate in turn 6.

A. Glad you are o.k. I watched you a bit over the weekend and was impressed.
B. F.w.i.w. i detest A.B.S.
C See A.
D. I was also impressed the response team. They are the best. Not only with the time to get there, but also how little damage ( it seemed anyway ) the car had afterword.
Sometimes extraction of the car on that kind of adventure damages the car coming out as much as going in.
E. See A

Cheers,
Joel
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Return to Multimedia