Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Falklands

A place just for our valued volunteers

Falklands

Postby fastcat99 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:26 am

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the Falklands truck was named??? I cannot recall ever hearing the story behind this. Thanks!
fastcat99

WHRRI Member Number: 1269

Re: Falklands

Postby James Burks » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 am

From what i heard it is one of the left over jeeps from the Falklands War what is why it is named so and why anyone driving it is on the wrong side. As to how it got up here I am unsure.
James Burks

Postby john » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I believe it was donated by Chrysler but unsure why they had it?? it was British army surplus.
John Lakatos
Flagger/Ninja
john

Postby David B » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:01 pm

The story I had heard was that it was a prototype Jeep that Chrysler made for the British military to use on the Falklands. When the Brits continued to use Rovers it left Chrysler with no home for the Jeep.

It certainly does have a resemblance to a Jeep Wagoneer.

How much of that is true though I'm not sure.
David Browning, DRSCCA F&C
David B

Postby Joel Hershoren » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:59 pm

The late Jim Macintosh ( longtime Waterford Member/Racer/Steward ) worked for Jeep at the time.
Second hand stories state he sorta created the truck from Faulklands contract leftovers.
Looking close at the truck, it has some "parts room" build nuances. It's kinda M15 + J15 hybird .
The chassis is older than the drive-train. I love the Military tires, still very little to no dry rot.
Near as i can tell, it is a mid late sixties body, with early seventies engine. ( it has an A.M.C. sticker over a Ford ignition control module, common back then )
It would be nice to source some bits that have disappeared over the years, or are broken.
( the grille and canvas top, broken / missing lamps )
I have some parts stored up for it, but i can no longer afford to do this out of my own pocket.
She is willing, but getting very old.
There is a noise from the drive-train that needs to be isolated and serviced.

Maybe some folks who knew Jim better, or were around at it's "arrival " can she light, fill in blanks, correct any statements if needed.

Cheers,
Joel
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Return to Volunteer Desk