Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Under Armor

Questions and new information about correct car set up, safety issues, etc.

Under Armor

Postby Racing Stuff » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:41 am

Including this past weekend, I have seen a number of people wearing Underarmor brand clothing under their racing uniforms. Apparently they don't know that the material melts at very low temperatures and is thus a safety hazard for our racing pastime.
Some of the newer materials such as Carbon-X, even a cotton shirt are a better option.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
Racing Stuff

Re: Under Armor

Postby bigsmittyJAS » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 am

Definite safety hazard! I can tell you from experience seeing many multiple burn victims in combat, that UA and like materials make injuries significantly worse. Burns are bad enough, burns with plastic melted into skin are 100 times worse.
bigsmittyJAS

Postby stevesteeb » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

IN FACT... I remember when F1 came to Detroit I was sitting at a Chief's Meeting and the Chief Doctor from Detroit (Dr. Krome?) mentioned that FIA allowed NOTHING to be worn at that time but Nomex. No cotton, no nylon, no jewelry, no piercings. Thanks for the reminder, Keith! And for the reinforcement!!! steve
stevesteeb

Postby Racing Stuff » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:49 am

Another type of material I've seen in the paddock comes to mind.
If you a wearing some type of "cool shirt", something with plumbing (remote or not) to help you stay cooler and it does not have a SFI or FIA tag, then you need to look into the basic material used. It may be no better than the UA when it comes to a fire. Also looking into the cooling fluid used, what happens to it in a fire. does it boil ??
This may seen to be much about nothing, but I think we should be careful about the stuff we wear under our uniforms now, before someone has a fire issue and they find out too late.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
Racing Stuff

Return to Tech Shed