Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

MG 1275 Spridget noise

Questions and new information about correct car set up, safety issues, etc.

MG 1275 Spridget noise

Postby erickz » Sat May 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Hopefully will be attending the June club race, car's exhaust exits on driver's right. Currently running an open exhaust. Car has a pretty healthy 1275 engine. Per the forum I see where Cherry Bomb's have been used as well as SuperTrapps. Does anyone have any experience with sound issues on little British cars? Per the supps it appears that the sound meter is on driver's left coming down the back straight - is that correct?
Thanks
EZ
erickz

Re: MG 1275 Spridget noise

Postby Anne Roeske » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Sound meter is on the left about 75ft behind the wall at the property line.
Anne Roeske

WHRRI Member Number: 469

Postby Corvairmechanic » Mon May 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Unless it is a vintage weekend aren't mufflers required? I think it's in the SCCA rules where you have to run a commercially available muffler.
Ken Hand
#22 Corvair/now #32
248-613-8586
http://www.corvairmechanic.com
Corvairmechanic

WHRRI Member Number: 2460

Postby James Burks » Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 pm

I believe ALL cars must use some forum of mufflers at the track.
The only time this is not a problem is vintage.
Open track day sound restriction is 75 dB.
I believe a regular race weekend is the same thing.
Vintage does have a sound restriction but it is so high most cars wont touch it (probably something in the 100s)
Probably a good idea is to check in with tech. Dave Lewis or Larry Jacobsen will be the person you want to talk to. You can send a email here techshed@waterfordhills.com
Waterford Hills takes sound a little more serious since its through a township ordinance and court injunction. Though the sound is for the property line, once a car starts to get very close or bust sound i seen the people in sound (up on the wall) start to hang over the wall to get a good reading. I even heard that they will get a person to take a reading over at start if all else fails.
We do have a few spitfires that run the track regularly. Hoping at one point they cherp in.
In my opinion I say put on a small exhaust and dump it out the right side. Even if you dont run exhaust a straight pipe to the right will at least help somewhat.... till you get to the esses at least.
James Burks

Postby James Burks » Mon May 19, 2014 11:55 pm

D-d-d-d-d-Double Post.

According to the rule book. http://waterfordhills.com/downloads/201 ... d-regs.pdf

7.Local ordinances require WHRRI to keep noise levels at the property line below 75 dB. All cars MUST have an operational commercially available muffler.
James Burks

Postby Tim Hollister » Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 am

When we were running our two MG Midgets we ran complete Maniflow exhaust systems. (Header, pipe, and muffler) Never an issue with sound. Keep in mind we were regulars at WHRRI and didn't run anywhere else.

Tim Hollister
Tim Hollister
Waterford, Michigan
HolliTech Team Racing
Tim Hollister

WHRRI Member Number: 2370

Postby stevesteeb » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 am

Sorry, just saw this... For the Vintage Weekend, a Spridget can run open exhaust. For a Club Racing Weekend, ALL race cars MUST have a Commercially available muffler. On my Bug-eye in the late 90's (same rules in place!) we had side exhaust and ran a Super-Trap on it so we could change the number of plates and run as close to the limit as we dared. Would have rather had a Flow-Master and less back-pressure but couldn't find one that would fit. We had experimented with glass-packs but sometimes we were over sound and adding a tail pipe that we could point at the ground at the end of a side exhaust glass pack was more ugliness than I could bear!
stevesteeb

Return to Tech Shed