Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Race 2 afterglow/thoughts

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties

Race 2 afterglow/thoughts

Postby Joel Hershoren » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 am

We said thanks, and goodbye to Joan Lawrence Voltmer.

We were concerned about Tom Dunn, then relived to find out he is resting comfortably.

Nice to have Brian Long from Star Ambulance back at the track.

Trophies where fun. Too bad if you missed it.
Thanks to Cynthia and Jen for making sure trophies where on hand.
Thanks to John Lakatos and Chris Histed ( Aka Ben Afflack and Matt Damon )
for running back up to the worker room to get the food Donated by the Voltmer family.
The kitchen was closed, but at least food was found for those who wanted or needed to eat.

The Great Lakes Challenge is a worthy guest.
Great racing , and rumor has it they enjoy our campfire site. ( somebody was up having long into Sunday morning )

We have some fast rookies and second year drivers.

Rob Schick and Rob Allaer had a race for the ages. It's nice to see somebody put it all together after a bad start to a weekend.
It was the last race of the weekend, and it only had 6 cars on the grid via attrition . Still, it was enough, As Rob Schick earned the hard-charger award of the weekend for his efforts.

Expanded/modified laps counts made things interesting from my view.
Time management is a work in progress, we will not stop working on it.
The Stewards where concerned about running short on time.
With all the volunteers giving up the 2nd worker break, and the 12 lap modify, they made the right call.
Better safe than sorry.
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Re: Race 2 afterglow/thoughts

Postby 2BWise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I want to send a thanks and well done to you Joel. You have picked up the announcer role fabulously. Your connection to the club really comes thru and adds a dimension I've never picked up on before. Plus, Im absolutely amazed at your ability to know every driver and a little bit about them. With so many drivers that takes some serious brain power. Also, the perspective from a prior driver really comes thru but on a level that even non drivers, I think, are able to understand. The David Hobbs of Waterford Hills.
2BWise

Postby 924RACR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am

...only slightly less impending senility! ;)

j/k, I love Hobbs's commenting too...

A big Thank You again to the workers for pushing through the afternoon without the break to get everything done. That's true dedication and love of the sport, right there...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Postby Joel Hershoren » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am

Aw shucks Bill, Thanks. I could only dream of being half as knowledgeable and funny as David Hobbs. Announcing is fun, but amazing how tiring it is for being not thought of as physical work.
Matt had a family emergency and had to depart Sunday morning. Anybody willing to try it is more than welcome. I know Matt would like a break now and again on weekends he is able to attend.
PLUS, Matt has already made it clear he CANNOT be here for Championship Weekend. Something about getting married or something. We offered the front straight for free to use for the ceremony (heh-heh ) , but i guess something more traditional was desired. I will try to see if i can con Greg Blastic to join us that weekend. He helps out with Matt and my brother Mark at Vintage.But just in case, anybody want to try it, c'mon, it's fun!

And Vaughn, careful buddy, wait, who are you again ?
Joel Hershoren

Postby surratta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 am

yes, indeed, thanks (yet again) workers!

Joel, I totally agree with the comments above. you're good on the mic. I'm not surprised at all that it's tiring being "on" for that long. hell, it's tiring just listening to you for that long!
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby Clark Lincoln » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I just want to mention that it was a milestone weekend for me and the GT6 - everything worked right, the new rear suspension has transformed the handling (thanks Bill Davidson, Jay Novak and Dave Piontek) and Hal Pringle kept me focused on the job at hand - and I managed my first win in EP by getting past the other EP car (OK, even if it was by old age and treachery..) and burned up my last two sets of crap tires but still knocked a couple of second off my previous best lap. That's a WIN WIN in my book!
And Joel, I'd like to figure a way to pipe your running commentary into my radio, so I could know what I'm doing out there during my race... :lol:
Clark Lincoln
WHRRI 1448
EP Triumph GT6
DSR Previous Car
Clark Lincoln

WHRRI Member Number: 1488

Postby Randy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Joel, I am constantly amazed by how many hats you wear. Great job announcing and adding lots of color commentary!
Randy Shaw
#4, SM, STL & ITS
Randy

WHRRI Member Number: 2564

Postby MJNOVA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Joel's announcing was great EXCEPT for the fact that I Kristen is always labeled as the better half of the Novak's....
MJNOVA

Postby Joel Hershoren » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Don't worry Clark, it was all good.
Thanks Randy,,, want a new hat ?
Andrew, good one !
Micheal, you are sort of correct,,,, other times, when she is not the better half, you get to be the lesser half!

Busy weekend. Lot's of other stuff going on during all of this. Some of it even good.

The Volvo race car, and all supporting parts and cars ( 2 ) where sold over the weekend.
and yes, it's going to Canada.
Joel Hershoren

Postby Randy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:02 pm

I really don't look good in hats.
Randy Shaw
#4, SM, STL & ITS
Randy

WHRRI Member Number: 2564

Next

Return to WHRRI Racing