Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

race weekend 5 afterglow.

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties

race weekend 5 afterglow.

Postby Joel Hershoren » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:39 am

That was one for the ages.

First off, before we go into the good stuff. Hope Kimi is o.k. this morning. Wheel center failure causing the car to hit the wall going in to paddock turn. I could tell from turn six that the car is done. Cars are replaceable. Guessing she is sore and a bit rattled. Chin up lass.

Shout outs :
Ralph Provitz. New overall track record. Guess the track surface is not THAT bad eh ?

Paul Burke , Keeps lowering the F-B record of his, car is now right in the mix of things .

Ryan Kristoff. First win in style. F-prod Spitfire wins the long race, overall, with Garrett Dunn keeping him honest. Great Drive ! ( and he is a novice )

Curtis Easterling : Novice changes from I.T.B. Fwd Corolla to a CFC from the Jim Dopriak stable. Not only was he clean, but drove very well. Followed Jim Lamb around Saturday and kept him honest and maybe learned a thing or two, only to get his first win. Due to attrition, he started on the pole Sunday Morning. Clean and full weekend.

Micheal Ofiara : he has run the table in I.T.B. this year. Has not put a wheel wrong, or a mark on his car, and has showed quiet resolve to get faster each weekend. The total package. Sad to find out he cannot be here the final weekend. Friend's wedding.( Sad for me, i was really looking forward to him being Number one driver at the end of the season.)
Great season Mike !

The crew of Corey Collins. Wind killed the new canopy in turn six on Sunday Morning. It was flapping beyond belief hanging on one of four rails. While i was thinking of finding a few other bodies to help, his crew just walked right up ( as if they had it on a to-do list ) with a "we got this" attitude and secured the failed tarp. Quality.

The best race i have seen in years was right out of the gate. Group 1 Specs,, in the rain,,,,Miata, Neon, and Focus. Clean and clear the whole race. GREAT RACING, no known contact, i do not even recall a local yellow. Well done guys.

There was so much positive this weekend. Not perfect, but VERY POSITIVE. Least amount of incident reports ever for a weekend. ( less than some weekends for just the first race )
No jinx. Lets's see if we can make Championship Weekend the best ever.

There is lots of other stuff. Chime in folks.
Last edited by Joel Hershoren on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Re: race weekend 5 afterglow.

Postby Joel Hershoren » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:58 am

As is sit here, i just recalled a few more.

Chris Marsh. First overall in things with wings. No small feat regardless of car count in that race.
Phil Mather. He and Sean Grogan where covered by a blanked most all weekend long. AND CLEAN. Nice.
Joel Hershoren

Postby CG-Lock Racer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks, Joel! That was a TON of fun racing Sean this weekend. Traffic was a huge factor in the rain race. I'd get caught, then he'd get caught, back and forth. One more lap... Unfortunately the video camera didn't work....

Yesterday's feature race was also some great racing! Wrong tire choice and the LR tire was corded pretty early in the race. I'm surprised there weren't sparks from all the steel showing! I was making the car as wide as possible, but still leaving an inch if Sean got a nose in. Video did work this time and I'll try and post a link soon.

Thanks to all of the volunteers, corner workers, and everyone who makes these races possible!

Phil
CG-Lock Racer

Postby 924RACR » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 am

+1 on an impressive SN race - putting on a great show guys!

Kudos again to Ralph for letting it all hang out there to go fast! ;)
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Postby TealTuna » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:13 am

I agree with all of the above Joel. Was a weekend to remember for so many people... some worse than others.
Thanks for the shout out again I appreciate it.
#46 F-Prod Triumph Spitfire
Acura Integra Trackwhore
10' Mazdaspeed3 Daily Fun
TealTuna

Postby Chris Marsh » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am

I thought I made a post but can't find it. Sorry if this is duplicate.

Thanks, Joel. Sorry I had to miss Sunday.

I too was amazed at the rain racing. I was watching the rain on the radar and thought surely our group would have some extra time due to the clean-ups but surprisingly there weren't any. Cleanest racing I've seen wet or dry. Congrats!
Chris Marsh

Postby MichaelOfiara » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for the shout out Joel. A dream season to be sure for me personally, especially when my goal to start the year was to win just one race since I had never won before! Simply amazing. I'm currently planning on flying home from Denver Sunday morning in time to run the Sunday feature for Race 6, I'm not quite ready to hang the gear up for the season. :mrgreen:

Congrats to Ryan, much deserved first win, and not the last for him IMO. Congrats to all my competitors on a tricky weekend (talking to you groups 1 & 2). The Neon/wave runner battle was great to watch, and on RA1s no less, and Sean taking first overall. FWD represent! :)

Thanks to all the volunteers and workers who make this possible, weekend in and out all season long, this club is such a hidden gem of talent, dedication and respect. I don't post online much, but I am proud to be a member of this club and spend my summer weekends with such great people.

Hope to see y'all on the grid for the feature in a few weeks! And if not, I'll be tapping the keg at the banquet! :mrgreen:
Mike Ofiara
#28 Volkswagen GTI ITB
MichaelOfiara

WHRRI Member Number: 2570

Postby 38Bfast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

I was very excited to see how close and clean the racing was this weekend. There was some very very hard battles fought out there and all without carnage to one another. Very impressive and exciting to watch. I sure hope this will be the trend of future races to come. It was racing as it should be done. My hat is off to all that made it happen.

Joel, the lap I made was absolutely brutal and painful. I will post the video when I figure out how to edit it down to just one lap. There are 3 places on the track that just kick my butt. Kink into 3, out of the esses and first apex in swamp. Other than that it is not all that bad. After I ran the fast lap I had to back it down to take a break. I think a ran a 1:08 that lap. At that pace I could run the car for a hour + no problem. I will try and put both laps in the video so you can see the difference.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby Joel Hershoren » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Ralph, i have no doubts. You did not think i would let your new record go without some comment did you ?
Well done. Funny to think as a 1:08 as a "relaxing lap" even if it 9 seconds up from the previous lap.
Joel Hershoren

Postby Dave Lewis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Ralph, post the whole video, I for one would like to see it. PLEASE.
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Next

Return to WHRRI Racing