Trophy Presentation , 1 hour after racing.

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Trophy Presentation , 1 hour after racing.

Post by Joel Hershoren »

A long tradition in our club.

A trophy chairperson has a high labor job, before , during, and after a race weekend.
Since they are not a " visible official" this task is often looked over and forgotten.

Cynthia stepped to the plate, and does a great job, just as others before her.

This weekend, i was delighted when Time Trial has very strong attendance.

The weather over the weekend surely caused many to head home right after racing for warm and dry locales.
I dig it, that kind of weather can wear one out more than a hot weekend.

It has always been a time to get together post event to celebrate the happenings of the weekend.
Thank your crew for the help with food and or beverage.
Share you success and failures with folks sitting at your table.
Give a moment of thanks to ALL the volunteer staff that make the weekend flow.

Share in the first trophy or win for a fellow racer. ( a big one, many of you might recall that moment )

It seems to me that this tradition needs a shock.
It has caused me to think we need a new announcer.
While i try hard to keep it moving, keep in fun, and give as many folks as one can, a moment in the sun.
Maybe it also had made things stale.
It may have by default of time, become a tired act.
I always worry about crossing the line, and to be sure, by odds i have to think i have done so more than once.
I would hate to think i removed the fun for another person.
If having a new announcer would help attendance , i will be more than happy to hand over to a new face.

The one constant i can see over time, ( and this is a BIG double edged sword )
We used to trophy much deeper in the field.
Getting a trophy certainly helps inspire attending ( or at least, used to )

Add expenses, the amount of inventory to order, haul, and re-haul if not picked up .
Yep i can see why it that decision was made to shorten the list.

OR ,
Maybe racers no longer care about trophies as the days of yore.
It's a personal thing, some have whole trophy rooms, some go right to storage.

The smoking in the room ( and i can see that ) used to turn folks away. That issue is gone.

I will not turn away from helping Cynthia, as she stepped up for the club ( and me ) when a body was needed.
That being said, if somebody would like to HELP her perform the Sunday night task, it would be welcomed.

The last opinion i have for now is,
Maybe with the current head count our sport has, that it is becoming a shrinking herd of the usual suspects.
Sad really,
As there is almost ALWAYS a first time winner each weekend, or a track record, a welcome back, what have you.

So, remember, 1 hour after racing , Sunday night = Trophies.

Cheers all,
Joel
Sean r/t

Re: Trophy Presentation , 1 hour after racing.

Post by Sean r/t »

Joel, I think you NEED to be the announcer at trophies, because I think only YOU, know nearly every driver, in every class. You know the personalities of each driver, and 'usually' give just right amount of razzing to keep things interesting. If we had someone just rattling off names and classes without any kind of emotion, sarcasm, or insults, that's just going to make things worse, and then it WILL turn stale.

I think we need a couple more reminders over the PA regarding trophies, but I thought the attendence and presentation wasn't too bad last night. A mic and sound system would have helped last night, but that's my only gripe.

I vote to keep Joel as the spokesperson at trophies for sure.
Sean Grogan
-#37 Yellow/Red Spec Neon
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

Ditto ...

Wonder if Kyle is dry yet? :mrgreen:

Jim
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
Sean r/t

Post by Sean r/t »

However, I have one question..... No hard charger awards this year?

How about the Formula Vee trophy as well?
Sean Grogan
bob hofmann
WHRRI Member Number: 1286

Post by bob hofmann »

Cynthia here. I would like to apologize for not have the Hard Charger award for this past weekend. What with the new car on track, my ankle injury from a few days ago, and the fact I could not find the ballot box, there was no award. It will definitely return in June. Joel, please do not stop doing the announcing. You are just irreverent enough to keep things going. Sean is right, would be much too dry if you weren't there. Please don't go! We need you! Also, the Chic Williamson award is presented in July.
Cynthia
Bob Hofmann
#06 2010, 2011 and 2012 GT-1 Champion
James Burks

Post by James Burks »

Yesterday was my first time at the Trophy Presentation (Was a worker but whatever :P someone told me there would be food there) and I was fairly amuse and laughing with everyone else. I have been regretting not coming to the ones before. I vote to keep Joel as well.
38Bfast

Post by 38Bfast »

Joel razing with you as almost as fun as on track racing.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

We need to return the favor more often. Maybe that's why we never see him behind the wheel any more? 8)

Jim
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta »

yeah, what they said...

I'd love it if someone else were up for it, maybe even tag team the deal. yes, it's yet one more area where a small group of people is carrying the flag. I'd love to see others at the mic, but not because I think Joel's stale or otherwise tiring. (well, I mean, at least not as a trophy presenter. zzzZZING!)
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

O.K.
Thanks for the " kind" words, but my post was not for attention or accolade , it was to call attention that we have trophies, and that it would be great to see
them all picked up.

Happy to hear a few ideas. I like the idea of a tag team.
It would be nice to have at least another person comfortable with the task, in case i need to be somewhere else.
( there are strong chances i will miss a few weekends this year )
It is always nice for me to have Bob Robinson to count on for the " Ed McMahon" portion of the program.

As for racing again, idle dreams and chat on my part. I highly doubt it. At least not very soon to be sure. So, sorry to remove that potential razzing source.

Perhaps positive peer pressure is key,, from Racers to Racers,, Sunday comments and greetings can include " see you at trophies"
Liz H

Post by Liz H »

This may not be an option, but maybe moving up the time a little closer to the end of racing might help attendance? For people who have a long drive ahead of them an hour can seem like a long time to wait - especially if they are in earlier run groups who are done racing for a while before racing is actually done. Now that we're local it's not an issue for us, but when we had to travel it was tough because we'd have the trailer to unload and drop off somewhere, on top of a couple hour drive to get back home. I think giving out more trophies isn't the answer because then it will either make the trophy ceremony longer or getting a trophy less meaningful because you'd have to read through the names faster. Or you could maybe promote the dollar beers a little more - who can turn down a dollar beer?
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Liz,
That MAY be viable.
The 1 hour was an easy number to remember. Plus at one time the trophy chair raced in the last race group.
Even at 1 hour there are folks still in the paddock loading up. Secondary social hour :)
1/2 hour might be tight, but let's see if Cynthia has an opinion, as she does the all the work.
I would be fine at a half an hour after last checker.

EVERYBODY 1/2 hour ? 40 minutes ? ( with an announced starting time, not a "back from lunch time" )

Joel
surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta »

how long does the presentation actually take? would it alleviate group 6's rush to get packed up if we did all three races for each group, in order?
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
t3894kj

Post by t3894kj »

I'm always amazed at the quick wit and bravado that Joel displays at trophies. Especially when you consider it's at the end of a long weekend when most of us are sunburned, tired and somewhat inebriated.

I agree that some hype over the loud speaker on Sunday and peer pressure would help attendance but realize it's Sunday and people want to go home... just a fact. It's hard to stick around all day Sunday when you're in group 1, have a mountain of laundry at home, haven't had a good night sleep all week leading up to the race weekend and have an important meeting with the boss Monday morning. That said, I will always pick up my first place trophy when I'm fortunate enough to have Sean mess up :-)

Kyle
Kyle Jones
#13 SN
karnold

Post by karnold »

Trophy presentation doesn't seem to take much more than an hour itself. With the addition of the time trials at end of day Sunday, gives even group 6 plenty of time to pack up and get to trophies. All the TT guys were there, but I'm guessing many had simple paddock setups and some even drove the car they ran, so its easy to pack and go.

Seems to me, the key is getting the early groups to stick around. Some people like to watch other races and stick around on the hill or in turn 6 to watch the other races and be social. Many others however have no interest in racing except for the group they are in, so getting them to stick around for a trophy can be tough.

No answers here, just more questions.....sorry.

How to get people to take an interest in racing and the social aspect of the club as a whole? Always an ongoing question....
Kathy Arnold
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

OR,,
remember also that the clubhouse needs to updated on this , it's only fair to warn the bartender and kitchen staff.

What about Trophies start @ 6:30 , period ? Is that too late ? early ?
I bet Rich would like it if the paddock cleared out swiftly.

Kyle,, buy more clothes , that is what Monday night is for!

ALSO, Group 1-2-3 folks,, you can always drive your car out to the hill ( another old tradition ) like Sean does to spectate, let kids sit in your car, etc. after your afternoon race Saturday and or Sunday.
( granted this weekend past, no need, you would been considered nuts to do so. )
Sean r/t

Post by Sean r/t »

Joel, I got denied access to the hill on Sunday... have the rules and regualations about bringing cars up on the hill changed recently?
Sean Grogan
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Sean,
Please PM me with information on who, when, why ,etc , as best you can. Please.
bob hofmann
WHRRI Member Number: 1286

Post by bob hofmann »

Cynthia here: The only issue I have is getting the results from Annie and Franz at the end of the day. With Bob in group 2, I have no problem getting to the clubhouse early. In fact, we got to the clubhouse and got set up and then sat and waited for everyone to get there. As far as I am concerned, a half hour after the end of racing is doable. I agree that a lot of the racers don't like sticking around after they are finished. Bob and I never did because a one car class doesn't trophy, unlike in S.C.C.A. Maybe if this were changed, more people would stay. I am puzzled by the fact a one car class can be a year end champion, but no trophies during the year. Something for the board to discuss? More questions and some answers.
Bob Hofmann
#06 2010, 2011 and 2012 GT-1 Champion
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR »

Half an hour can be real tight for us when we're in group 6. BTDT. Though doing the groups in their entirety, as proposed earlier, would help mitigate that.

As for those who will only show up when they get trophies... I'd like to take a moment to ask them exactly who they expect to be applauding their performance when they get up to take that trophy? Because if you never show up to cheer your fellow racers when they place, don't expect anyone to ever both clapping for you when it's your turn...

We rarely miss an awards presentation, and always cheer our friend racers. Getting to trophies is a great chance to put faces and personalities with the neat cars and impressive drives we see every weekend...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com