Question about tech for driver school

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
Rabbit Racer 22
WHRRI Member Number: 2824

Question about tech for driver school

Post by Rabbit Racer 22 »

Hello,
My name is Carl Biondo and I have a few newbie questions about getting started also. The previous topic drew some very informative responses that answered a few questions, but I thought I would introduce myself, and tell the route that I'm taking to get my novice permit.
I purchased a 1980 Volkswagen Rabbit in 2013. This is a former Bilstein Cup car that has an extensive racing history. It has been prepped for ITC, and was last raced at Waterford Hills in 2001. I made updates to the safety equipment in the car and ran I think five OTD,s last year with no problems. The car runs very well, and felt very comfortable. I had to install a transponder, and change the window net mount (according to the GCR) but other than that the car is pretty much unchanged from the last time it was teched.

In my initial inquiries about the path to a novice permit, I was under the impression that OCSC membership was difficult for new members to get. There was a waiting list, and you needed a sponsor. So I joined SCCA, understanding that I could go either route to get a novice permit. I have since found out that WHRRI membership is not as hard to get as I was led to believe and I plan to join the club also. I hope to attend Wednesday's membership meeting, where I hear that "all questions can be answered".

I have mailed off my app for driver school (I hope it was received, I haven't heard anything yet), signed up for OTD #1 (to shake down the car), and have crew ready for on track sessions. I was wondering when I can get the car looked at. I think I read somewhere that tech could be done at the classroom session. Is there any truth to that? I just want to make sure that if any issues arise, I will have time to correct them. I was also wondering about car numbers. Are they assigned after reserved numbers are approved? The car is still numbered from years ago, but I will happily re-number it. Just need time to get new decals.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give. This really seems like a good group of people, and I look forward to meeting many of you this summer. 8)
Carl Biondo
#26 ITC
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Re: Question about tech for driver school

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Hello Carl,
Welcome. Good to hear another IT-C car is around.
Yes, see you at the meeting, many questions can be answered for you.

In regards to tech, traditionally Tech is available during the classroom session of drivers school.

Seeing as the car has been way from racing for a while, it may be in your best interest to get it looked at sooner than then, so if an issue is found, it can be dealt with " not in crisis mode"

Depending on were you live, some tech inspectors will come to your house ( for a fee of course, it costs them money to do this )

Try sending an email to :
techshed@waterfordhills.com

and go from there,,

Cheers,, Joel