SCCA/WHRRI Novice permit questions

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
Chriszuma
WHRRI Member Number: 2687

SCCA/WHRRI Novice permit questions

Post by Chriszuma »

I have a friend who's doing the driver's school this year, and he's really confused by the SCCA/WHRRI licensing.

In short, he's not sure how many WHRRI he wants to do, and wants to race other places as well. So he doesn't know if he needs a WHRRI novice permit, an SCCA novice permit, or both. It's not fully clear what's required.

I think it boils down to whether you can race at WHRRI using only an SCCA novice permit. It looks like you can register for individual WHRRI races without being a WHRRI/OCSC member, and he would probably go that route (at least at first) if the SCCA novice permit is adequate, so he doesn't need to jump through the additional hoops.

If he does need the WHRRI novice permit to race here, does he also need to become an OCSC/WHRRI member?

Thanks,
- Chris
Chris Hammond
Hammond Racing #22 Spec Miata
ntsullivan

Re: SCCA/WHRRI Novice permit questions

Post by ntsullivan »

I went through the same quandary. This is the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new also

He can do the driver school with his SCCA membership or...
become and OCSC member and WHRRI member and get a reduced driver school price. $385 vs $495

He can race the regular season races with just his SCCA membership and noivce permit but he must be a WHRRI member to receive season points.

On the entry form there are selections if he wants novice permits for WHRRI, SCCA or both
Nick Sullivan
F5 #92
97 Red Devil T-27
stevesteeb

Re: SCCA/WHRRI Novice permit questions

Post by stevesteeb »

BUT... I believe he can race at any SCCA Regional on an SCCA Novice Ticket and ONLY at Waterford on a WHRRI Novice Ticket. A WHRRI Full License is accepted at SCCA Events (WITH an SCCA Membership) but I don't think a WHRRI Novice Ticket will get you in!