SCCA v WHRRI novice options, logbook

Questions and information about the WHRRI Driver's School
jefnvk

SCCA v WHRRI novice options, logbook

Post by jefnvk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased an F500 that I plan on taking through WHRRI driving school this spring. I am trying to better understand how the novice permit works. I will be mostly racing at WHRRI this year, but I would like the option (if possible) to run nearby SCCA events as well. I am already a SCCA member, I am not an Oakland Sportsman or WHRRI member. I know a full license has reciprocity, does a novice as well, or would I require a novice for both bodies?

Also, is it possible to get a WHRRI membership currently? A few posts I read seem to indicate one must wait for a spot to open at Oakland Sportsman Club, is this still the case?

Finally, I will need the car inspected as a new build, as the logbook was lost before getting to the PO. It was a former Runoff car, so I've got no concerns over the frame, but with whom would I get in contact regarding getting it inspected and thr condition it needs to be left in (ie not riveting seat pans before inspection and such). Same question as above too, does SCCA v WHRRI logbook make a difference?

Thanks!
-Jeff
494 KBS F500

surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Re: SCCA v WHRRI novice options, logbook

Post by surratta » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am

hi Jeff,

I have only raced at Waterford and only hold a Waterford license. I _believe_ the WHRRI novice license is recognized by SCCA. hopefully someone else who knows for sure will weigh in soon.

w.r.t. OCSC membership, yes, you do officially need to wait for a spot and have a sponsor to join the club. however, that's really a formality at this point, as the club is not close to its membership cap. it's safe to consider this a non-issue.

if possible, try to attend a membership meeting (first wednesday of the month). there are a number of people who attend the meetings (and who don't frequent these forums often) with all the answers you need.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll

surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 am

Larry Jacobsen is chief of tech. you can email him at techshed@waterfordhills.com.

again, I can't speak authoritatively on this, but in the past, I know that tech inspections have been available at the driver school classroom session. this gives you time to address any issues before the on-track sessions.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll

jefnvk

Post by jefnvk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks! I was going to try and make the February meeting, just depends on if I am in town or on travel for work.
494 KBS F500

JRogers
WHRRI Member Number: 2769

Post by JRogers » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Waterford Hills Full and Novice license are both specifically listed in the GCR as acceptable licenses for SCCA Regional. The tracks around here all know this, if you venture a long ways you might need to remind them.

JRogers
WHRRI Member Number: 2769

Post by JRogers » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Regarding logbooks, Larry can get you set up with an SCCA book, so I'd recommend going that route if you plan on running SCCA events also.

jefnvk

Post by jefnvk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Well, I should have reread that section, totally missed the novice bit! I'd only really be looking at Grattan/Gingerman/Mid-Ohio so I should be good.

For my understanding, if I'm on a WHRRI novice license, does SCCA events count towards getting a full permit?
494 KBS F500