Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

M3 Question...

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?

M3 Question...

Postby stevesteeb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:08 pm

My Service Writer has a 1997 M3 that he uses quite a bit for track days. He can drive it to Gingerman, MidOhio, etc with no troubles on the road BUT on the track the car will always spit coolant out of the expansion tank cap and make a mess of the engine compartment. I'm sure he isn't the most popular with other competitors and he is worried about the car running low on coolant. This winter the car has a new aluminum radiator, new high-flow water pump and new hoses, thermostat, cap, even the correct GERMAN coolant (with distilled water!). He was sure this would be good this year with all the new parts but NO!!! We have checked for a leaky head gasket and it seems to be fine... Anyone seen this movie? I suggested tie a rag around the cap but there must really be a trick or something... Thanks in Advance! steve
stevesteeb

Re: M3 Question...

Postby 2BWise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Checking the level when warm right?
Proper bleed to get all the trapped air out?

Those are the two big ones that pop out in my head first.
2BWise

Postby ennored » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm

We had a company M3 of that vintage. It was very hard to keep all the radiator plastic shrouding in place. Everything intact?
ennored

Postby stevesteeb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Sorry - more info... And thanks for the ideas so far. Yes, properly bled and all new cooling system components this winter trying to fix this very problem that he experienced last year. I'm not sure about a shroud as he has switched to an electric fan with the bigger aluminum radiator. The temp always looks fine on the gauge but apparently the car always seems to come in off the track with coolant leaking around the cap and sprayed around under the hood.
stevesteeb

Return to Advice Column