Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Looking for a puppy

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?

Looking for a puppy

Postby Dave Lewis » Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 am

The day after last Christmas, I had to take my 13 year old Lab for her last visit to the vet. The time has come to find a new best friend. Can anyone recommend a Labrador breeder in the area or maybe have some pups yourself?
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Re: Looking for a puppy

Postby surratta » Sun May 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm about a month ahead of you, having taken our 12 year old for her final visit last November. sucked.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/surratta/8542690464/

I started trolling petfinder.com a couple months ago, and holy ^!$% do they have a lot of dogs listed there. I put in what I thought were some pretty narrow criteria, and there were still like 80 dogs that matched within 100 miles of here.

I wound up adopting Tux about a month ago:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/u ... 2KKnnKi1m0

he was rescued by an organization based in Livonia: http://www.lastdaydogrescue.org
I was pretty impressed with their screening (both of the dogs and their prospective adopters) and process.

it's certainly a different route than going to a breeder (which I'm not dissing), but maybe something to consider if you haven't already.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
surratta

WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Postby 38Bfast » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Dave give Aaron from animal aid a call. I got Bonnie from him. Best dog I have ever had.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby Dave Lewis » Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Andrew, thanks, checked them out. Ralph, contact info? And yes, Bonnie is a lover, just what I need.
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

Postby Mark_Silverberg » Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 pm

petfinder is a great resouce and most rescues post dogs there. If you are looking for a puppy then many rescues will be from puppy mill surrenders which will come with their own set of challenges - such a poor nutrician and lack of exercise. This can be worked through fairly easily with a little time and effort. Rescue dogs are wonderful and unfortunately the economy has made many available now
Mark Silverberg
VSCDA
Zink C4 & Lynx B
Mark_Silverberg

Postby laura respecki » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:23 am

Dave Don't do it! Don't buy; adopt! There are too many wonderful dogs in need of your help!
Contact Aaron, Michigan Humane Society, Dearborn Animal Shelter, Royal Oak Animal Shelter, Almost Home and/or Pet Finder. Many of these organizations will give you an application to fill out and if they do not have the breedish type that you are looking for they will call you the minute they have a dog that can be adopted. Doug and I will personally never turn back to buying, adopted pets appreciate what they have allot more than kennel babes. They like many of us; have seen hard times and are more thankful than you could ever imagine. Let the real bond begin by meeting your faithful friend at the pound, please adopt.
Regards,
Kassie & Laura
laura respecki

Postby Dave Lewis » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:10 am

That is my plan Laura.
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

Return to Advice Column