Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

1993 Miata Battery

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?

1993 Miata Battery

Postby r.ranville » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

The 1993 battery in my Miata has finally died. A local shop found an OEM standard that is identical in every respect except that the original vents are rectangular and the hoses have rectangular tips to fit; the replacement's vents are round. The hoses can be pinched into round without any difficulty; I don't know how they'd fit. How big a deal is this? I read some horror stories about sealed replacement batteries exploding in Miata trunks.

Also I want some long term maintenance type stuff done on the transmission which I would not be comfortable attempting myself. Can anyone recommend a good shop or qualified mechanic? THX.
You might as well go fast; it'll go by fast anyway.
r.ranville

Re: 1993 Miata Battery

Postby CG-Lock Racer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 am

You can probably use small zipties to hold the vent hoses onto the battery. Make sure it is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) type battery, which is what the factory battery was.

The shop is a trip from you, but Arbor Motion in Ann Arbor is a good place.
CG-Lock Racer

Re: 1993 Miata Battery

Postby r.ranville » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Bought a Car Quest Platinum "Exact Fit", $113; the hoses were not clamped, just slid on, so I snipped the old rectangular ends off and the hoses are secure on the vent tubes. The battery is manufactured by East Penn and does incorporate the technology recommended above. THX!
You might as well go fast; it'll go by fast anyway.
r.ranville

Return to Advice Column