Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Miata Transmission Parts

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?

Miata Transmission Parts

Postby r.ranville » Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 pm

I found a video on line showing how to service the transmission turret on a 90 -97 Miata and it looks like something I can tackle. I called the dealer where I bought my Mazda 3, a converted - mechanics and all - GM dealership and the best the parts guy could do was e-mail me an exploded view of the transmission and ask me - me who didn't know enough to fit battery vent hoses - to pick out the parts I wanted. Is there a shop where I can call and discuss the job and have someone understand the parts I'll need? I was mostly interested in changing the gear oil in the turret, but there are boots, springs and bushings the guy replaces in the video and it seems worth doing in a 21 year old car. I'm sure this service was never done before I got the car.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biBjZhmkxZc
You might as well go fast; it'll go by fast anyway.
r.ranville

Re: Miata Transmission Parts

Postby tyurkunas » Thu May 08, 2014 8:16 am

Randy,
Changing the transmission and shift turret lube is very easy and takes care of most shifting problems (Sticking, etc.)
You're gonna' have to take the shifter out to change the turret lube - so if you want to change the boot, seals & bushings too - it's a simple R&R (remove and replace).

For more info go to: www.miata.net/garage. There a very good pictorial under "Driveline". I suggest you get your parts from a Miata expert like Moss or Finishline. I also suggest Redline MT-90 transmission fluid.

If you need more help, ask for it on the SE Michigan Miata Owner's (MiMiata) Yahoo site. I'm sure someone will help you there.
This is easy to do .... We Miata owners do this kind of maintenance ourselves every day.

Tom Y - The F&C Guy -
tyurkunas

Re: Miata Transmission Parts

Postby Dave Lewis » Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 am

Rich, if you use Moss or Finishline, ensure you are getting OEM parts. Also you might want to look at Pennzoil synthetic in the gearbox, I have used both Redline products and a mixture of the two (50-50), Pennzoil blows them away, plus, it is half the price. Turret oil? your choice from grease to any quality oil of any viscosity.
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Return to Advice Column