Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

OTD #2 July 2nd...

Questions and information about upcoming Open Track Days

OTD #2 July 2nd...

Postby Elise » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi everyone!

Our second OTD of the year is coming up on saturday July 2nd!! Please get your entry forms in and let your friends and neighbors know about it! The more people, the better

Remember, EVERYONE must fill out an entry form! If you have a Track Pack and are planning to come out, you must fill one out as well.

One more thing, as of now, there will be NO touring laps during lunch/afternoon break because during the last OTD people were not following the "touring lap" rules. The track will be closed during this time, so please let people know if they ask.

Thanks! Hope to see alot of you in a few weeks......
Elise
Elise

WHRRI Member Number: 1731

Re: OTD #2 July 2nd...

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Elise wrote:One more thing, as of now, there will be NO touring laps during lunch/afternoon break

OK, that might well be a deal-breaker for some that work the event.....myself included :cry:

Brian
Brian

WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Postby Elise » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I understand, however it's some of the volunteers that caused me to make this decision. Apparently "lapping" means "racing" to some people and I do not want our guests to get the wrong idea. If (some of the) regulars can't follow the rules, how can I expect everyone else to?

Maybe a fee for touring laps would be an idea...
Elise

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:30 am

Care to be more specific here Elise?
Personally, I never saw anyone pass another car, so don't know what you mean by "racing"........

Brian
Brian

WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Postby Dave Lewis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 am

I can answer that Brian. At the beginning of lunch I was talking to a Spec Miata driver to be who was having a problem with a couple of corners. I offered to do a lead follow with him and off we went. Two or three laps in a pickup entered the course in front of us and waved us by on the back straight. That apparently is racing.
If the lack of touring laps has put anybody off bacause of this I apologize to them.
Last edited by Dave Lewis on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Postby Elise » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Brian, I can answer that question myself. It was Mr Lewis and a few other cars that I personally saw passing coming onto the front straight. At least four drivers were driving way too fast for touring laps as well. I did not see the back straight pass, apparently that was something else.

Dave, I will not respond to your post on a public forum, but I will be sending a PM.

For all others, it is my understanding that a touring session offers an opportunity for people who do not normally get to see the track firsthand, the chance to drive around at a SLOW, controlled pace. If a current driver/instructor wants to help a newer driver, I do not have a problem with that. However, I would hope that driver would ask me (as the event chairperson) for some time after the touring laps are over.

I am sorry if this is an issue, it was not my intention to cause a problem.
Elise

Postby 38Bfast » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Elise I would like to offer a solution. How about we give guidance to those who want to participate in touring laps. We have a drivers meeting for those that want to take part in the rest of the sessions. How about we have a mini drivers meeting for the touring laps. Give explicit instructions on what is expected and what a black flag means. If a driver is incapable of following said instructions pull him/her in and tell them they are no longer invited to take part in touring laps.

I hate to see such a wonderful thing be abolished due to a few or a lack of communication. I would hope that education would cure any future issues. You know my stance on those who can’t follow the rules.

Just my two cents.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby 427 cobra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 pm

+1
What Brian said!
Don't mess with the parade laps
427 cobra

Postby tapandrack » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 pm

I'd hope a major track tradition like Parade Laps would be retained and a simple respectful conversation between Elise and Dave would solve the misunderstanding between these two important volunteers. Punishing the public is not a good long term solution for the track. It's a small sandbox, let's not make it smaller. Hope you can find a way to reconsider this Elise. Education and enforcement like Ralph suggests seems like a good solution. And hey, you just can't have enough driver meetings! (OK, maybe you can)
Bob Formisano
1997 BMW M3 Estoril Blue
tapandrack

Postby Elise » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:08 am

After talking to some wise people, I have come to the conclusion that you guys are correct. It isn't fair to punish everyne for the acts of a few (not that I was trying to punish people). I would be happy to reinstate the touring laps with one request, I need another volunteer will to be in charge of it. There may need to be 2 people, one to man the grid and one to watch from the starter tower. If you or someone you know is interested in being the point person, please let me know.

Thanks everyone :P
Elise

Next

Return to Open Track Day