Newbie Questions

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
mike.rodriguez

Newbie Questions

Post by mike.rodriguez »

Sorry if I've missed the answers to these questions. I've looked over the website and couldn't find the info I need.

1) Is there a make up session for the driver's school? If all goes to plan, I want to run my GTi at the Magnum Opus stage rally on April 21.

2) Do I have to become a member of the OCSC to race at WH?

3) Is winter over??? I want to race cars.

Thanks in advance.

-mike
ChrisBenfant

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by ChrisBenfant »

mike,

1) classroom session i believe so yes, track session no
2) yes, you have to become a member of the parent club to race.
Also, the club orientations are only scheduled so often, possibly once a month i think. its in your best interest to not wait till last minute, as to where your orientation is scheduled right after race weekend 1.

3) is winter over? Ill let another poster hand out their sarcasm to that one.

Chris
mike.rodriguez

Post by mike.rodriguez »

ChrisBenfant wrote:mike,

1) classroom session i believe so yes, track session no
2) yes, you have to become a member of the parent club to race.
Also, the club orientations are only scheduled so often, possibly once a month i think. its in your best interest to not wait till last minute, as to where your orientation is scheduled right after race weekend 1.

3) is winter over? Ill let another poster hand out their sarcasm to that one.

Chris
1) Yeah, sorry...forgot to be specific. I meant the classroom session.
2) OK, that's what I thought. Too bad I don't live closer to use the rifle and handgun range more often.
3) My question was pure sarcasm... ;)
ChrisBenfant

Post by ChrisBenfant »

Mike, I believe the make up day is all info crammed into a short period of time.
I cannot recommend enough how informative the classroom session is.
Directors Joel and John, and their many years of expeirence is not something to miss out on, the WHRRI school is thhe most affordable class I've heard of, and to miss out on the class room session, is going to hinder your learning curve, trust me. Ask how many students return for a second year. Its for a reason. Their is so much information on what to expect, what to do/not to do, its rally hard to take it all in, their will still be that level of anxiety come race weekend 1.

During my class session, 2 other WHRRI vets were on hand to discuss preperation and the like, those were Vaughn Scott and Kristian Smith, I can almost promise they will not be on hand for a make up class session. Plus you'll miss the invite from Kristian to stop by his paddock for him moms famous cookies.

To sum it up.... I would never consider taking the classroom session for granted.

I am still a rookie entering my 3rd season for 2012, my experience is obviosly limited but if you have any questions or want to BS about things, feel free to call me 248-917-1458
David B

Post by David B »

3) Did it ever really begin?
David Browning, DRSCCA F&C
mike.rodriguez

Post by mike.rodriguez »

The calendar says it's winter. I hope it never really visits. My new F150 likes the fact that it's not getting that rusty in his first winter season.
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Mike,,,
Chris summed it up very well. ( thanks chris )
The full day classroom is highly preferred.
Yes, there is a "quickie" classroom friday night before the school, but You need permission from the head of Drivers School.
Plus, it's obvious i would hope,, with such a short time on friday night it's impossbile to go into any detail like at the full day classroom.
Want to get a head start ??? Download the GCR at the SCCA website,, and study the section on flags until you can recite them by heart. ( even if you THINK you know them )
Also pay close attention to all the safety equipment required for YOU and the CAR.
Cheers,,
Joel
Robert Robinson

Post by Robert Robinson »

Hey Joel. Forgot to thank you for the John Payne connection. Great guy and a great new car.
Dwaine Koscielniak

Post by Dwaine Koscielniak »

Just a note if you have an SCCA License you do not have to be a member to race but it will cost you more. You have to be a member to accumulate points for the class championships
Dwaine Koscielniak (Speed)
Retired AS #76/75
SCCA # 33439

It's Amazing How People Have Such Simple Minds and Find Humor Offensive

Mustangs are Like Women, You Have to Put Up With a Lot of Crap to Get What You Want, But When They Put Out, Life Is Good
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Bob,
THREAD HIJACK: No sweat. John is indeed a great guy. Most folks don't know this, but John is guy who networked for us to get the Miata pace car some years ago.Quick version: When John was still a practicing Dentist, He had a fellow in the chair from Mazda.Small talk got to the topic of cars and such. John told him about WHRRI, and how they could donate the Miata for use as a Pace Car. That's the story behind the pace car. Many details left out to keep the story short.
John is not a car broker, but he comes across some cool stuff. Glad to hear the A/sedan spare chassis is getting put to use. I am sure John is happy it went to a good home. So is this a replacement chassis ? or a return of a 2 car Windsor Life effort?
Cheers, Joel
We now return you to the topic thread.

Mike, Dwayne's point is correct, You can race as a S.C.C.A. member ( at guest rates )
Another important point is Drivers School this year is a DUAL school,, meaning it counts as 2 SCCA schools towards your license. IF opting that direction, one must obtain an SCCA novice permit PRIOR to attending the ON-TRACK portion of the school.
If not going the path of S.C.C.A., and wish to have a Waterford Hills license, then yes,
You have to join O.C.S.C. and Waterford Hills. ( allowing you to run for trophies and points )
A Waterford FULL license is accepted at all SCCA regional races.

Both paths have their merits, it all depends on what works for you.

Cheers,, Joel
Robert Robinson

Post by Robert Robinson »

It gets worse Joel. Two days after the Firebird got here I made a deal with Erik and Kristian for their white Camaro. Need more garage space and a much bigger trailer! End of thread hijack. By the way, when can we arrange new numbers?
mike.rodriguez

Post by mike.rodriguez »

Looking at the 2011 financials, of course the OCSC membership route is most cost effective. :P I can go shooting AND get practice in on those three day weekends I'll be "forced" to take to go racing. :twisted:

More questions...

Have the 2012 race entry fees and drivers school been finalized?
How do I get an SCCA Novice permit?
Can I get my annual tech inspection done the weekend of the on-track school session?
Once my car is ready (hopefully in mid-March) who can I take it to in the area that can give me a logbook.
How much is a logbook?

OCSC question: Can I just show up to the Feb 29 General Membership meeting and join the OCSC?

Sorry for all the questions, if you're annoyed by them, I'll supply the beer for an after race weekend drinking session. :mrgreen:
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

More questions...

---NOT YET,, VERY SOON.

--Join S.C.C.A., and contact your region's License director.

Can I get my annual tech inspection done the weekend of the on-track school session?

--Yes, as your car will have to be tech-ed anyway for the on track portion of the school.

Once my car is ready (hopefully in mid-March) who can I take it to in the area that can give me a logbook.

--Once your car is ready, contact a tech inspector via the website. Depending on where you live, sometimes they can come to you ( expenses may be incurred ) or bring the car to a meeting. They will guide you to a best option.

How much is a logbook?
---not much :)

OCSC question: Can I just show up to the Feb 29 General Membership meeting and join the OCSC?
--Yes. but expect a line. Contact Sally in the OCSC office, if you have any questions, she can answer them for you.

Sorry for all the questions, if you're annoyed by them, I'll supply the beer for an after race weekend drinking session.
---no problem, not annoying what so ever..

Joel
Racing Stuff

Post by Racing Stuff »

Do not wait until the week before to purchase any safety equpment you may need. Your choices diminish the closer it gets to when the season starts....
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
mike.rodriguez

Post by mike.rodriguez »

Racing Stuff wrote:Do not wait until the week before to purchase any safety equpment you may need. Your choices diminish the closer it gets to when the season starts....
Only safety equipment I need is a HANS device which will be purchased when Uncle Sam gives me back some money. :) Everything else (except the new Sparco ProADV that I want) is waiting here in my house.

I will be coming up to Averill for some roll bar padding soon.
mike.rodriguez

Post by mike.rodriguez »

Joel Hershoren wrote:More questions...

---NOT YET,, VERY SOON.

--Join S.C.C.A., and contact your region's License director.

--Yes, as your car will have to be tech-ed anyway for the on track portion of the school.

--Once your car is ready, contact a tech inspector via the website. Depending on where you live, sometimes they can come to you ( expenses may be incurred ) or bring the car to a meeting. They will guide you to a best option.

How much is a logbook?
---not much :)

--Yes. but expect a line. Contact Sally in the OCSC office, if you have any questions, she can answer them for you.

Sorry for all the questions, if you're annoyed by them, I'll supply the beer for an after race weekend drinking session.
---no problem, not annoying what so ever..

Joel
Thanks Joel.
Racing Stuff

Post by Racing Stuff »

Mike,
Good to see you're on top of things.
I've had many Driver's school candidates appear the week before driver's school, needing everything, to be surprised that all the sizes and options they wanted, was not just sitting here (or anywhere) waiting for them to walk in the door.
Good planning is what makes most successful racers, successful throughout their racing career.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR »

Racing Stuff wrote: Good planning is what makes most successful racers successful throughout their racing career.
Quoted for truthiness... :mrgreen:
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
mike.rodriguez

Post by mike.rodriguez »

Instead of doing a 7th and 8th attachment point with a tube and footer on the inner fender well, can I do something like these?
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR »

I'm not certain which class you intend to run your car in, but that's not typically legal...

Might be time to take a closer look at the rulebook...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com