Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Thoughts on HPDEs running on race weekends?

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

Thoughts on HPDEs running on race weekends?

Postby MJNOVA » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

Let me start by saying--- I REALLY ONLY LIKE TO RACE..... That being said I believe there are more Track day people then racers..

Some thoughts.

1. The track needs the addtional income as new racers are not coming in fast enough.
2. Some of the track day people would see how the racing works and might give it a try.
3. They could buy paddock spots that are not sold otherwise.
4. They could run at break times---maybe with a seperate crew? Or racers---give them a discount on race fees???
5. Combine one of the races groups and get rid of co-driver?
6. Make it a TT format?
7. Waiting for the economy or something else to bring attendance up is not a plan! I am not saying there are not other plans---this is just a thought.

Yes---I know there are a million ways to shoot this down... But 20 extra people a weekend at $100 brings us one step closer to re-paving or a better,bigger paddock..

Mike Novak
MJNOVA

Re: Thoughts on HPDEs running on race weekends?

Postby 38Bfast » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:14 am

+1
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby Racing Stuff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:48 am

There was always a number of parking spots open, more on some weekends than others !
Sounds to me like an idea that should be considered.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
Racing Stuff

Postby ennored » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am

Open spots, yes, lots of them. Earlier in the year I counted about 70 cars entered. Race #6 had 86 entries, minus about 10 cars entered for more than one race. Take out a few extra GLC entries, and it was about the same 70 cars.

There's about 140 paddock spots. Spots, yes, lots of them.
ennored

Postby jdopirak » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 pm

I think this idea has merit. We tried it a few years back and did not get many participants. Maybe we can make it work this time. I will suggest the boards take a look at this.

Jim D.
jdopirak

WHRRI Member Number: 1476

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 pm

From a Flagger's perspective, we wouldn't need (or I'll wager, get) fully staffed volunteer turn stations for non-racing sessions.
The OTD's run well on a rather short staff, paid with WHRRI Bucks I believe.
I'm not sure how to meld those 2 worlds together, especially since we would need a quick turnaround between the racing / HPDE sessions.
The PCA races I've Flagged incorporated them into the schedule as just another Group, but all those 'working' the event were paid to be there.
Maybe set them up as the last sessions of the day, and the additional staff not needing to be there could migrate to the turn 6 bleachers ??? :mrgreen:

Just my 2 cents,
Brian
Brian

WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Postby alexpq » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Have an HPDE group instead of co-driver races? People who run co-driver for extra track time/ testing would still be able to do so.
Alex Piku
#21 Spec Miata
alexpq

Postby Clutch » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:21 pm

I think you'd need more than one session to merit the cost and effort for the HPDE participants.

My 2 cents:

Add them to the practice day on Friday (give them a group)
One guaranteed 20 - 30 minute session during each race day
Give them the unused time at the end of the race day (if there is any)
Section off an area of the paddock (edge of swamp) for them to set up in for the entire day.

I don't know what it would mean for our insurance, but see if we can get it approved for licensed race drivers to be available to instruct on track. (ie... ride along with the HPDE during their session)

This gives them the potential for a lot of track time, lots of exposure to the racing scene, and a reason to stick around to watch.

Great idea, hope it goes somewhere!
Clutch

Postby 2BWise » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am

This gives them the potential for a lot of track time, lots of exposure to the racing scene, and a reason to stick around to watch.

This fact was completely missed by me initially. This gives us a lot of potential to expose potential racers to a race weekend without being stuck as a spectator. It gets them intermixed with the races, crews, drivers, and could potentially make the jump into racing themselves seem much more do-able. To get started now you pretty much have to commit to driver's school and jump in with both feet. Now you have a chance to experience it before making the full commitment to a race car, trailer, tow vehicle, crew, etc.
2BWise

Postby mikegillie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:55 pm

If you have a gap in the schedule you could make the extra run group an "Exhibition Group" and run it around 1 P.M. (prime time). Could be HPDE on Saturday and something else on Sunday. Some out of the box ideas (like a track promoter might think of)...

1. Run Go-Karts (may require sound ordinance variation).
2. Have a bicycle race qualifier and then run a big bicycle race after 6 P.M. (highlights the other ways the track is used).
3. Soap Box Derby (on hilltop).
4. Gravity Cars (used to run in California with the car design studios and in the U.K. Goodwood Festival of Speed).
5. 250 cc. Motorcycles (may require sound ordinance variation).
6. Formula SAE (perhaps on a shorter loop in the front straight around Gulch and making a right instead of a left at Skeethouse).
7. Electric Car enduro (there is some SAE activity in this area).
8. Legends Cars (they only ran once as a group at WHRRI in the 1990's, most likely will need waiver for sound ordinance. Usually good car count, might be good late in the year when their oval track season is over).
9. Skip Barber Exhibition. I thought at one time they rented WHRRI. Opportunity for them to market in the Detroit area.
10. Car Club Exhibition on track (Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, Fiat Abarth etc.).
11. Spec Racer Ford - Festival. SRF's haven't run in numbers at WHRRI for awhile. An SRF only run-group might encourage a resurgence.
12. Manufacturer/Dealer - Ride and Drive
13. Quarter Midgets (not sure if this would work, even the short loop might be too long).
14. Drifting Exhibition (would be a good tie-in with one of the Tire Stores).

Mike Gillie
mikegillie

WHRRI Member Number: 1993

Next

Return to General Discussion