Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

Dixie Highway Construction Notes

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

Dixie Highway Construction Notes

Postby jdopirak » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 am

Since I drive Dixie Highway just about every day I am going to update this post before each WHRRI event. This is not going to be based on what MDOT posts or the news but what I see going on. Please combine all sources when determining your route to the track.

Last weekend the three center lanes were close from Friday evening (sometime after 4:30 PM) until some time Sunday night. This closure was from just north of Sashabaw to just north of Andersonville roads. Traffic was not too slow during this time. The slowest area was at Walton ( Williams Lake Road) due to left hand turns from Dixie.

Weekdays it the outside lanes on both north and sides are closed at the bridge just north of Anderson Road due to bridge reconstruction. This closure is about ½ mile long.

Also during the week there are random outside lane closures in the south bound outside lane.

This weekend I expect Dixie to have one lane open in each direction. It appears the pre-work on the center three lanes is complete so the outside lanes should be closed.

For those coming from the south I suggest taking Sashabaw to Pelton to avoid all this stuff.

Hope this helps.

Jim D.
jdopirak

WHRRI Member Number: 1476

Re: Dixie Highway Construction Notes

Postby Dave Lewis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Jim, for those of us with low cars, what's the condition of Waterford road?
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Postby jdopirak » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

I don't know Dave. I have not been down Waterford Road since the monsoon hit. Before that it was good.

Jim D
jdopirak

Postby Dave Lewis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks Jim, just going to have to risk it.
Clock Tower Dave.
Dave Lewis

WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Postby jdopirak » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:39 am

Update as of 4.25.13 9 PM. Northbound Dixie is one lane from Sashabaw to just north of Waterford Road with a lane shift at Anderson Road. For those going to the track Friday evening plan extra time. It took me 20 minutes the other day to cover that stretch at 5PM.

I have heard that taking Sashabaw north is not much faster due to the increased traffic.

Southbound Dixie has its issues also. It goes down to one lane just north of Waterford Road and traffic backs up quickly. The left hand turn lane from Dixie onto Waterford road is all but nonexistent. Vehicles making that left will quickly backup southbound Dixie.

Suggested route, come in from the north on Sashabaw to Pelton to Waterford road.

For those coming from the west I cannot comment how backed up Andersonville road gets turning left on to Dixie.

Jim D.

Traffic on Saturday and Sunday has not been much of an issue.

Leaving the track, turning left onto Dixie from Waterford Rd could be a real problem. Between the traffic backup and the loss of the left hand on Dixie for staging, it could be a real back up. I suggest taking Waterford road to either Pelton or Maybe.

If you do enter or exist to the north from the track please watch your speed, respect our neighbors. As an added motivation to watch your speed the Clarkston Police have a habit of radaring incoming traffic on Pelton Saturday morning of our first race weekend.
jdopirak

Postby jdopirak » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Update

As of 6.5.13 both north bound lanes of Dixie were open to just past Waterford Road. This should not be an issue unless you are planning on getting to the track between 3 and 6 PM on Friday. Going down to one lane just north of Waterford Road could create quite a back-up.

South bound Dixie from just north of M 15 to Sashabaw Road is one lane and really gets backed up during rush hour. During non-rush hours it is OK.

One big change is they now have No Left Turn signs on Waterford Road at Dixie. This may cause a problem for those heading south on Dixie after leaving the track.

Jim
jdopirak

Postby Rich Johnson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:50 pm

As of Wednesday Pelton road was in pretty good shape. I've certainly seen it worse. I plan on taking my trailer that way.
Rich Johnson

WHRRI Member Number: 1981

Postby jdopirak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Race Weekend 4:

Dixie Highway is one lane each way from Telegraph to Walton (Williams Lake Road). The back up on north bound Telegraph at Dixie is 1 to 2 miles at rush hour (weekends are OK). I suggest avoiding this intersection on Friday if at all possible. If you have to use Telegraph to get to the track I suggest taking Pontiac Lake Road west from Telegraph. This is a right lane, 270 degree exit off Telegraph. Take Pontiac Lake Road then turn right onto Watkins Lake Road. Take Watkins Lake Road to Dixie then left on Dixie. You still are in the construction zone but the congestion is less.

Dixie from Walton to I-75 has all lanes open so those coming from the north should have no issues.
jdopirak

Return to General Discussion