Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

2014 schedule - is this it?

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat

Re: 2014 schedule - is this it?

Postby Joel Hershoren » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Note: No M.I.S. OR Nelson Ledges on the calender. With I.R.P. long gone, the number of tracks is decreasing. The number of "regionals" is down as well. It used to be there was a race almost every weekend , now there are five or six. Trend ?

M.I.S. needs more time to implement requested changes.
While i understand the lure of the facility , once one drives it the lure is gone. ( IMHO).
Poor Nelsons, a track with soul, hope they can find the funds to repave as needed. ( same boat we are in, soon. )

Grattan is a track all should try, after Gingerman. Do Gingerman first, trust me.
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Postby 924RACR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:43 am

Why Gingerman first? Just to ease into things? With that, I'd agree; otherwise, Grattan is far more fun... though I'll admit that Gingerman's 7-8-9 combo changes from merely frustrating/patience-testing to actually pretty freakin' exciting once you've got enough downforce to make it fast!! :shock:
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Postby Joel Hershoren » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:33 am

Gingerman : I have nothing against so much as i have little lure to attend on a regular basis. I have been, and glad to do so. I got my first regional win there. I find it technical( ok good ) but lacking a soul. Lack of elevation changes might be the big part of my emotion towards it. Plus i thank an average driver with a good car can "hide" there and do well. I don't think they can "hide" with as much ease at Waterford or Grattan.
It is very safe, and i think a great second track to visit. I think everybody should go there first after Waterford. ( Get your own opinion, this is just mine.)

Grattan is my run away favorite, even more than Mid-Ohio. Almost every type or combination of turns, every turn in point is blind, and the track changes as you go faster, as does every track, but not like Grattan. I wish Grattan would work on the amenities a bit more. Getting in and out is a pita via the design. Having to cross the track to get in ,is novel at first, but get's old if you need to run out for something ( really hard to fix that one ) . The garages are ok, but the restrooms, food, no power in the paddock is sort of out dated. All little stuff compared to driving the track.The place is stunning in the fall.

Gingerman's facility is top notch. The paddock is a great size,, and easy to get into , great food when i went, and i liked the grid. I have been told that the changes to the track since i last attended, improved the on track portion a great deal, plus they are now repaving.

Summary, i think Waterford helps , and is a good lead into Gingerman. The two tracks in kind, help to drive Grattan.

Really, we are blessed to have so many good tracks with a very short tow distance. Grattan, Mid-o, Nelson (now off the list, no races for SCCA in 2014 ) Gingerman, then M.I.S. is my list of favorites in favs on down. I leave the home track off the list on purpose. M.I.S., again , everybody should go at least once, it did nothing for me.
Think about it, a LOT of folks the closest track is a 4 hour tow or better. We have over a handful.
Joel Hershoren

WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Postby 924RACR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Yes, agreed re: Gingerman, really lacked soul. The expansion adds a lot more than you'd expect just looking at a map; because of the added elevation change, you've got a fun on-camber corner leading onto a monster backstraight... cresting that hill is now a lot more fun! Especially exciting in the rain on slicks! LOL
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Previous

Return to General Discussion