Gingerman, Grattan & Mid-ohio

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
otto3x
WHRRI Member Number: 2680

Gingerman, Grattan & Mid-ohio

Post by otto3x »

I am hoping to go to Gingerman, Grattan and Mid-Ohio for the first time. I am looking for a little help and advice. Where to stay, what do I need (I only have WHRRI license), etc. Thanks, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
Otto Krauss
#69 Spec Focus
James Burks

Re: Gingerman, Grattan & Mid-ohio

Post by James Burks »

Second this.. Me and Michael (90 STL CRX) plan on hitting the regional when the come by also.
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR »

You'll need an SCCA membership to go with your WHRRI full license (so that you're covered for insurance). Assuming you're talking an SCCA weekend, that is. If you're talking NASA, you'll need to not only join NASA but also get a license with them - usually just paperwork/fees.
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
Sean r/t

Post by Sean r/t »

Otto, glad to see you'll be back this year. Group 1 should be a riot. A few of us Neon guys are going to head down to Mid Ohio as well, pretty much all first timers as well. We have our eyes on the IT fest event in August. Not sure if your car is ITS or It something legal, but maybe you can make it out?
Sean Grogan
-#37 Yellow/Red Spec Neon
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Post by Joel Hershoren »

2 cents you did not request ? Do Gingerman first, then Mid-o, and Grattan last. ( if you can )
Gingerman is pretty flat and techie.. great track for a first " away from Waterford" trip . Mid- o is great. Lot's of elevation changes,, a bit of everything,,,smooth is fast.
Grattan is Gingerman,Mid-o, and Waterford all had a kid. Elevation changes but evil ones ( love it ) Apexes are super vital there , and all of them are blind. My favorite track by far. Have fun.
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

My very limited two cents worth per Joel's comments ... I've done OTD's and Corvette Club autocrosses at Waterford without so much as a single pucker moment, however the few spirited "pace laps" I've done at Grattan during lunch time in The Banana with its blind hills and short radius corners more than got my attention. Racing bumper to bumper and fender to fender there would be quite the experience. :P

Jim
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
Racing Stuff

Post by Racing Stuff »

Grattan.
And that's why I've always loved Grattan. Enduro Karts, F/Ford, F/Super-vee, had a ball there no mater what I drove.
Did my first SCCA National race there in 1971. Even got a trophy for my effort!
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
greendot
WHRRI Member Number: 1444

Post by greendot »

Look for some Grattan video to help. First time I went there it was a big help.
Don't ask how I got video WAY before utube and small video cameras LOL
Sheldon Cooper "Leonard, friends are like toilet paper. It's good to have spares under the sink."
erickz

Post by erickz »

First we should all take a knee and be thankful we have such great tracks near by.
Gingerman is a great club track (so is Nelson Ledges but...). Grattan is a great club track as well but maybe more of a horsepower track than Gingerman. Mid-O is the most horsepower track of the three and may give you more pucker moments than Gingerman. The facilities are first rate at Mid-O and certainly nice at Grattan, especially after the restroom remodel. Mid-O is simply bigger - paddock area, etc. My spouse likes Mid-O most of all as it is just "nicer."
Having said all that if you can race and race well at Waterford Hills - you will do well at all three. Being able to carry speed through a corner, hitting the apexes, mirror awareness are all critical IMHO at Waterford and to a degree at the three tracks under consideration. At Waterford there is no long straight that allows a poor technician to make up time with a high HP motor like there is at Grattan and Mid-O.
Get to all three and you'll have a blast.
bob hofmann
WHRRI Member Number: 1286

Post by bob hofmann »

As far as where to stay, at Grattan a lot of people stay in Grand Rapids, about 20 minutes from the track. At Gingerman, be prepared to pay a premium for hotels nearby, this is a resort town, and hotels are expensive in South Haven. Stay in Mansfield when you go to Mid Ohio, again, about 20 minutes from the track. Lots of good chain hotels at all locations.
Bob Hofmann
#06 2010, 2011 and 2012 GT-1 Champion