Avoidable multi car crash group 3

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
cmachado
WHRRI Member Number: 2688

Avoidable multi car crash group 3

Post by cmachado »

I hope our Racing representatives, director of racing and other officials review the video tapes of this unfortunate event, the more I think about this incident the more I want a full review so that our organization understands what happened and prevent future incidents like this
This is not about finger-pointing, it’s about learning and sometimes learning is painful, there is a difference in between the outside Lane and the inside lane
I am glad everyone is OK, I wish they would have not been so much car damage for all of us
The only reason why I raise this in this forum is to bring transparency, and reduce the chances of chattering noise in small groups
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Re: Avoidable multi car crash group 3

Post by 924RACR »

Hear hear.
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

Post by 924RACR »

One question I would like to see answered - with the understanding, to be clear, that this does not appear to have been a cause of this incident, but could be a contributing factor to such events - is what is the procedure and criteria used to determine when a green flag or wave-off is issued, and how does this align with general SCCA practice?

I am concerned that we may have drifted, perhaps unintentionally, into an operating standard that does differ substantially from standard practice at most or all other tracks.

Again - I'm talking here about making the determination to throw the green or issue a wave-off. I'm not talking about the technique of displaying the flag or showing a wave-off signal, which is an entirely different topic.
Vaughan Scott
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
BloodSweat&Gears
WHRRI Member Number: 2699

Post by BloodSweat&Gears »

As a member of Group 3 and a car involved, but not damaged in this incident here are my $.02. I believe this event has two separate issues that compounded the outcome which was not good. First of all, my hats off to Patrick Waligore, who came to me after the race and admitted to missing a shift on the start. He was the inside Pole sitter. Patrick is a stand up guy, who accepted responsibility for his actions and we therefore cannot blame or chastise him. EVERYBODY MISSES A SHIFT...PERIOD. Second, which I cannot comment on much, because I did not directly see, or have video of, there seems to be some confusion on the way the Starter/Green Flag was thrown. Once again, we cannot blame or chastise here. We are all human and we make mistakes. Moving forward, we must have personal acceptance, accountability, and willingness to learn from the mistake. These are the only ways to correct the problem. I am sure the Competition Board will have a lengthy discussion about how to improve our volunteers and educate them so this does not happen again. Lastly, I would like to comment on how we as RACERS can learn from this. As we come around swamp turn and the pace car enters pit lane the field becomes under the control of the Pole Sitters. They set the pace and are anticipating the GREEN FLAG as much as those in the back of the field who sometimes can't even see the Start Stand. We are watching the car in front of us, judging pace speed and picking a gear. We ALL are 99% sure of a Green Flag and never consider a Wave Off. We must learn to keep our eyes forward on the cars at the front of the pack and look for warning signs like clouds of smoke, dust or break lights and be able to react in time. We should always Accelerate through turn 1 and 2 even on a Wave Off, because there are cars coming behind you. Don't hesitate or jam on the brakes on a Wave off. Watch the turn stations, they tell us to slow or go. Lets all "Man Up" and help each other learn from this unfortunate event. Remember when you point the finger to blame one, you have three fingers pointing back at you!!!

Suzy Tice
ITB #18
Team Tice Racing @ Restorations
It's our "Blood, Sweat & Gears"
1991 VW Golf- ITB #18
Racing Stuff

Post by Racing Stuff »

The pole sitter job is to assume the speed of the pace car when it leaves for pit lane, not go faster nor slower.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
cmachado
WHRRI Member Number: 2688

Post by cmachado »

Amen to Suzy’s comments
I certainty have leaned much in the last 48 reviewing videos and reading constructive comments from our peers
It is hard to accept facts specially when our babies are hurt , totaled or out of commission for the season
Taking tresponsabilty is a first step, I for one will try to learn to “read” the car in front of me better putting aside the desire to win at least until I apex turn one on first lap , I have spoken with some of the racers who suffered mild to moderate car damage and agree they are all class act!!

Learning points ;
place experienced flaggers at start .
keep cars of same weight together in race groups if an AS would have been behind me (I would not be able to type this comments )
review standards for wave offs
Require video in all cars ( I did not bring my go pro that day , left for work too early and forgot , my bad),

continued education to All drivers like physicians keep competency via requires reading or classroom attendance
So on and on

But most important let’s be civil because life knows if we have not made mistake yet ,we will is just a matter of time, it comes with being alive, now living better requires learning from those mistakes

Feel free to email me in private to advice and or criticize my mistakes after reviewing those videos on FB
See you all probably not till next year
924RACR

Post by 924RACR »

Also - review standards for greens. This was a green, not a wave-off... and that's where some of the problem lies.

Requiring video - hate to say it, but that's another financial barrier to entry. Encourage, for sure, and share knowledge of the best/most affordable options... but not required.
Vaughan Scott
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly