Waterford Hills Road Racing  Forums

How do I get started racing? - answers within!

Questions and information about the WHRRI Driver's School

Re: How do I get started racing? - answers within!

Postby 924RACR » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:39 pm

cobrahicks wrote:Thanks Vaughan, this really helps.

But where would i find more info on the types of race classes and there rules and guidelines?

I'm completely new to this, so what race class or classes would be best for a beginner like me?

I'm looking to buy an existing racecar. And i dont plan to go all out (No more then $5000), i want something cheap that i can beat up and learn on.

Are some classes more popular then others? Is this something i need to take in to consideration?

As for the open track days, car i bring my completely stock car out?
Are there any special requirements for OTD?

Thanks Again guys.

Spec Neons are quite inexpensive, reasonably popular (yes, that's desirable - if to want to have someone to race!), take a fair bit of punishment, and there are quite a few available at the moment.

The IT classes as noted, in particular ITA, ITB, and ITC, are also fairly inexpensive to get into and run with - especially ITB and ITC - and are great choices... IT7 too, can't forget that! ITS is also great fun, though tends to be slightly more expensive (but still cheap, on the relative scale!)... OTOH it does offer more RWD cars if that's your pleasure.

And of course Spec Miata is VERY popular and provides excellent racing with a great car... not sure what pricetags are like on those cars these days.
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
924RACR

WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Postby 38Bfast » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:53 pm

A ready to go Spec Miata will go for $7000.00 for the bottom end and $35,000.00 for the top end runoff capable car.

A good thing to know is if you race a Mazda. Any Mazda. You can get %40 off retail on all the parts that Mazda sells. For the most part the entire car. That is a very nice deal. I dont think anyone else offers such a good plan to support racers. Then if you win in a Mazda even more money comes your way.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby cobrahicks » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Please e-mail me at
hickstik06@aol.com
if you guys know of any good deals on a ready car.
i've worked on cars my whole life so i dont mind getting something that may need some repairs
but i dont know anything about the safety aspect and what mods need to be done just to get it on the track
so a car that ready to go with all the proper modifications for safety and what not would be great.

i see i have a few options for race classes.
so i think a lot of what class to get in will determined on what race cars are readily available in the area at a reasonable price.
i live in clarkston, basically just down the road from the track.

once again hickstik06@aol.com is my e-mail.
please send anything you think will be of interest to me.

thanks
all you guys are incredibly helpful.
cobrahicks

Postby 38Bfast » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

cobrahicks wrote:Please e-mail me at
hickstik06@aol.com
if you guys know of any good deals on a ready car.
i've worked on cars my whole life so i dont mind getting something that may need some repairs
but i dont know anything about the safety aspect and what mods need to be done just to get it on the track
so a car that ready to go with all the proper modifications for safety and what not would be great.

i see i have a few options for race classes.
so i think a lot of what class to get in will determined on what race cars are readily available in the area at a reasonable price.
i live in clarkston, basically just down the road from the track.

once again hickstik06@aol.com is my e-mail.
please send anything you think will be of interest to me.

thanks
all you guys are incredibly helpful.

Give us some things you are looking for in a race car.
Price?
FWD? RWD?
Lots of mods? Close to stock?
How fast?
Do you want to race a car in a large class (lots of competition)?
Do you want to run in SCCA, NASA, WHRRI?

I will PM you with my phone number to help you out.
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com
38Bfast

Postby cobrahicks » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 am

38Bfast wrote:
Give us some things you are looking for in a race car.
Price?
FWD? RWD?
Lots of mods? Close to stock?
How fast?
Do you want to race a car in a large class (lots of competition)?
Do you want to run in SCCA, NASA, WHRRI?

I will PM you with my phone number to help you out.

Like i mention previously in some post, i'm completely new to this. So i'm in need of some guidance and a lot of advice.

price: i'd like to keep it cheap since in a beginner and will probably be beating up what ever i get.
From what i hear (depending on the class) i should be able to get something ready to race for about $3000 to $5000. and thats right in my budget

I'd prefer RWD but i'm not going to be too picky on that. I'll be just as happy driving FWD.

As for mods i could go either way, i've worked on plenty of cars so i could always make some upgrades my self. What are the major pros and cons of lots of mods vs close to stock?

I like to go fast, with the potential of going faster.

I definitly would like a good amount of competition, so i'd prefer a lager class.

As for running in SCCA, NASA, WHRRI. I need some advice about this. And what the major differences are between them.

I live right down the road from waterford hills, so that will be my main place of interest. Also since i live so close i'll be driving my car to the track.

Also i'm 6 feet tall, from what i heard some of the cars can be a little tight for tall drivers.
cobrahicks

Postby 924RACR » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Being flexible FWD vs. RWD helps keep the cost down plenty - lots of FWD ITB/ITC cars around that are inexpensive and durable! And of course the Spec Neons.

Actually, peeking at our classifieds right now, I'm surprised to see not a whole lot of IT Cars FS, just the few Neons... I would expect more around this time of year!

As mentioned, ImprovedTouring.com delivers:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=65

Too bad you missed picking up Steve P's Prizm... that was a steal...

As for mods - the more you mod from stock, the more that's there to break! Faster isn't better, when it comes to road-racing - closer is what's better!!! It's much more fun, and you'll learn a lot more, when you're running door-to-door, than compared to being out there by yourself with no-one within a hundred feet.

Yeah, Miatas can be a slightly snug fit for tall guys, but not unmanageable...
Vaughan Scott
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 pm

cobrahicks wrote:I definitly would like a good amount of competition, so i'd prefer a lager class.

Just noticed this - looks like you'll fit right in (though I think pilsners and ales tend to dominate the paddock)! ;)
Vaughan Scott
#65 DSR Hidari Firefly
924RACR

Postby Greg Blastic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Dan Watkin's ITS RX7 is a good car. A littlte over your budget but....ITS is fast and fun. Cars are a little bigger, we have one guy that's about 6-2.
But, of course, you want something you could drive to the track.
Greg Blastic

WHRRI Member Number: 2412

Postby cobrahicks » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:39 pm

well it seems there a lot of choices.

I've been talking to a co-worker of mine (Jim Krom AKA 'Smooth', he's the guy who made me realize my racing dreams can easily be reality)
and he's got me leaning toward racing neons
There inexpensive (~3500 for a race ready car)
there's quite a bit of competition
the few i've seen for sale are also street legal (i'd be driving it to the track)
And i can race them in a couple of classes.

Its seems to me like that would be the best option for a beginner on a budget like me.
cobrahicks

Postby finding_beans » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:36 pm

cobrahicks wrote:well it seems there a lot of choices.

I've been talking to a co-worker of mine (Jim Krom AKA 'Smooth', he's the guy who made me realize my racing dreams can easily be reality)
and he's got me leaning toward racing neons
There inexpensive (~3500 for a race ready car)
there's quite a bit of competition
the few i've seen for sale are also street legal (i'd be driving it to the track)
And i can race them in a couple of classes.

Its seems to me like that would be the best option for a beginner on a budget like me.

Ah yes, isn't it a great feeling when you realize going racing isn't out of reach.

Spec Neon is a great choice. Of course, I'm a bit biased. It does seem to fit what you want. Whatever you decide, consider cost to race in addition to the initial cost of the car. Spec Neon is great because we hold down one of the biggest costs ... tires. Also, consider replacement parts cost and availability. Once again, Spec Neon is great in this aspect too.
Matt
Spec Neon #??
finding_beans

PreviousNext

Return to WHRRI Driver's School