FS: Ford Focus Billet Front Hubs (reliability upgrade)

A marketplace for buying and selling
mcoppola

FS: Ford Focus Billet Front Hubs (reliability upgrade)

Post by mcoppola » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm

I am drumming up interest in a "group buy" to purchase aftermarket, unbreakable front hubs. Each year we seem to see more MK1 and MKII Foci either tracking their cars, or racing in the various endurance racing series.

One of the Focus' weak links is it's front hubs, which are prone to breaking when subjected to high loading. I've got a whole picture folder called "Focus Hubs" that has multiple pictures of other folks' broken hubs. When this happens, you can lose a wheel, the axle shaft breaks off at the spline, and sometimes caliper and caliper bracket damage occurs. In severe cases, I've talked to guys that have had crashes due to hub breakage.

There are a lot of different theories on the cause (which I won't get into here), but I decided that I was going to solve the issue before it happened to us. I did some extensive searching, made a lot of Foci contacts through various forums, and at the tracks, and consider myself well educated on this issue.
There are 2 companies that have built 4340 billet hubs that have corrected the inherent problem with the factory hubs. To date, 1 company has sold approximately 18 sets of these, and the other company has sold over 20 sets. No failures have been reported on any of these hubs.

There are several teams I know of in Champcar, and World Racing League that are running these hubs, as I pointed them in the direction to obtain them. A few teams balked at first when I told them of the issue and the price for the solution - until they broke enough hubs, axles, etc, and lost valuable track time, and money for parts replacement - then the price made sense, and they antied up for them.

Neither company advertises these hubs. One shop only made them up because the owner needed them for his and his friends' cars, and they sold a few sets to others to recoup some of their time investment. The 2nd shop, the one I employ to build these hubs, was asked years ago to do a special run by a Focus racer. I've tried the "start from scratch" approach and asked several machine shops what it would cost to duplicate them. Each response was much more expensive to create these than the 2 firms that have done so already.

I just recently organized a group buy for 13 pairs of these front hubs. Since that order was placed in early July 2018, I've had several inquiries from folks who missed out when we placed the build order. If you are interested in a set of these hubs, please PM me for more info. Each shop will only do a minimum run of 5-6 pairs, so you won't be able to get them on your own unless you plan to order that many (as I originally did 2 years ago.)
In subsequent postings here, I will ]supply more info here, and pictures if possible. As I said, respond here or PM me if you are interested.
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG
Last edited by mcoppola on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mike Coppola
ChampCar Endurance Series - Technical Advisory Commitee
'03 Ford Focus SVT #393

Cool Breeze Motorsports
Roll cages; Tube bending - Full car builds - Suspension work - Fuel cells installed - Headers, Exhaust - MIG, TIG; metal fabrication work

mcoppola

Re: FS: Ford Focus Billet Front Hubs (reliability upgrade)

Post by mcoppola » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:10 pm

The construction of these hubs is from 4340 billets, with a significantly increased amount of material on the backside of the wheel mounting flange where it tapers down to meet the bearing shaft area - where 90% of the stock Ford, Timken, Moog, etc. parts fracture and break.

My supplier will make these hubs in ANY bolt pattern you want them made in. The most recent batch of (13) pairs we had built included:
(6) pair with the standard 4x108mm Focus bolt pattern
(2) pair with a 5x114.3mm pattern
(5) pair were double drilled to accept 4x108 and 4x100mm wheels.
I've researched wheel choices heavily and wanted a couple sets made in the 4x100mm Miata/BMW E30/Honda bolt pattern, as there are many more wheel choices that can then be used on the Focus. A few other folks took advantage of this opportunity/option too.

There is NO ADDITIONAL charge to build any of the special requests - hub price is still $600/pair, which includes cadmium plating and ARP bull nose studs. As I previously stated, the price may seem high, until a race weekend is ruined, and you add up the additional costs of replacing CV axles, brake calipers/rotors, wheels, and fender repair at times. Needless to say, the safety factor of keeping your car from rolling over and/or hitting walls, etc. is a benefit you can't put a price tag on.
Attachments
20180810_193302.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
Mike Coppola
'03 Ford Focus SVT #393

Cool Breeze Motorsports
Roll cages; Tube bending - Full car builds - Suspension work - Fuel cells installed - Headers, Exhaust - MIG, TIG; metal fabrication work

mcoppola

Re: FS: Ford Focus Billet Front Hubs (reliability upgrade)

Post by mcoppola » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:37 am

Pictures posted above
Mike Coppola
'03 Ford Focus SVT #393

Cool Breeze Motorsports