Can I check out your spec miata??

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?
jgpowers

Can I check out your spec miata??

Post by jgpowers » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm

I've been doing HPDE's for a couple years now and interested in taking the next step into wheel to wheel racing. I'm thinking the spec miata class may be right for me (rwd and budget minded with a decent group of cars). I've been keeping my eye out for used SM's, going through the SCCA requirements and reading online buying guides but I still don't have a good feel of what a well sorted car should look like in person.

Is there anyone in the Metro Detroit area that wouldn't mind showing me around their spec miata?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake

Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: Can I check out your spec miata??

Post by Brian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:19 am

Hey Jake,

I've passed along your request to someone that is active in the local SM community, so hopefully you'll hear something soon.

I look forward to your joining in the SM fun 8)
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

jgpowers

Post by jgpowers » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi Brian, thank you for passing my request along! I will be sure to reach out to your friend early next week!

Best,
Jake

38Bfast

Post by 38Bfast » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:28 am

We usually have several SMs in our shop at any one time.

V2 Motorsports
V2 Motorsports
Ralph Provitz
2008 Spec Miata Champion
2008 WH top 10
38 DSR
Ralph@v2motorsports.com

jgpowers

Post by jgpowers » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:27 pm

38Bfast wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:28 am
We usually have several SMs in our shop at any one time.

V2 Motorsports
Hi Ralph,

I actually just spoke with Natalino and he recommended that I speak with you. I'll shoot you an email and try to set up a time to stop by your shop soon!

-Jake

ADPWL1
WHRRI Member Number: 2785

Post by ADPWL1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Jake, most of us SM guys use Ralph at V2 for our SM work/advice/coaching.... Ralph is very well known in the SM circles.

I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. Decided that HPDE was fun, but wanted to step it up. I personally don't have the time or money to get enough seat time to be in the front of the pack, but even though I'm in the back of the pack at WHRRI, its still very fun to run SM there.

I'm in the downriver area if you want to see one of Ralph's cars. I bought one off him. I spent way more than I wanted, but when I look around on race weekend, myself and others that have bought quality cars, are sitting and relaxing between races vs always working on the car hoping to get it together before the next race.
---------------------------------------
Andy Pawlowski
1994 Spec Miata #38

Camaro67racer
WHRRI Member Number: 2648

Post by Camaro67racer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:57 am

Jake,
If you want to make the trek out to the Ann Arbor area, happy to show you around a Spec Miata or two.
Even so, happy to chat at any point. I've had three SMs, beginning with a total budget car, to mid-grade car, to high-end SM.
If you find a car, ask around the community. People will often know the history of it and can tell you about it's quality, crash history, and owner habits.

And please don't buy that Black and Copper SM that is for sale for $4k on Craigslist!
Jon Yanca

#20 Spec Miata
(Former) #20 T4 MX-5